Public liability

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by John Bunyan, Aug 22, 2017.

1. John Bunyan

John Bunyan Active Member

Hi I would imagine different people pay different prices for PL insurance. The other year I got it for £70 then the next year the agent on the phone asked a load of questions and decided I ticked a load of boxes for other trades and charged me abot 300. Any advice welcome thanks. I am a jobbing joiner not always in work and don't have job contracts but am small scale.

2. Doall

Doall Active Member

Jesus I pay £55 a month

3. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

For your sort of work, subject to you not working above 2 storeys high or more than a 1 metre deep in the ground (why would you as a joiner), you should be in the £100/150 area.

4. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Do it via a comparison website, certainly not on the phone as they'll bend you over. I pay around £90 for £2million, make sure you state you DON'T use fixed woodworking machinery, you don't work at serious heights, you stick to woodworking and are not multitrade, and you don't use heat within your job, all that may be a start.

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I useTrade Direct and it's something over £100 for £5 mil PLI and various add ons including £1000 tool insurance.

6. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Churchill. £65 for me.House insurance and green flag breakdown with Churchill as all same group. They give you 10% off if you have any other cover with the group. Got my van and car combined breakdown basic level. Think it was £57 for both vehicles or me and Mrs is covered. Can't remember as I don't sort. Anyway.. easy to do with them online or go with comparison site route. I always look online just to make sure I'm paying a fair price. Don't work above 10m. Don't get anywhere near asbestos. No heat guns or flames. No flammable liquids. It will bump up quote. I'm also covered for more than 1 trade category

7. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

I been looking about napit pi is going up every year had quotes from 250 to 550 from other insurers