Pulling 16mm SWA through 40mm ducting - with 90 Degree bend!

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by BigDave, Sep 16, 2015.

1. BigDave

BigDave New Member

Hi,
    I want to power my mancave at the end of the garden. Its 35m from the house.
    The mancave has a consumer unit built in - and I have buried some 40mm plastic conduit about 800mm underground the length of the garden
    My problem is this - the 40mm conduit has a 90 degree bend to bring it up inside the mancave.
    The conduit comes under the concrete base and is at least 800mm underground the whole length.
    I would like to use 16mm SWA for this - but I don't know if it will handle a 90 degree bend in the conduit.
    Will I be better off using non SWA cable, or dropping down to 10mm SWA?
    I will be fitting a bathroom in there - so it will have some heaters and an electric shower that may be pretty power hungry.
    I would also like to squeeze a long cat6 cable in there!

Any advice gratefully received!

Thanks

2. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Duct, not conduit or waste pipe? Assuming proper duct, you would of used proprietary bends, which would be swept and suitable! Or the coils of duct which are designed for the job.

Have you not used duct? Have you used rain water or waste pipes? The bends on these are too tight for SWA or any other larger cables. 40mm is also a bit tight for pulling cables through over any long length.

63mm minimum really.

3. BigDave

BigDave New Member

It's 40mmm waste pipe I have used so not 'correct' duct - and the bends are tight.

Pipe is already in so I cant change it now!

sparky Si-Fi likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

40mm waste pipe isn't designed to be buried.

sparky Si-Fi likes this.
  5. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

The bends would be far too tight to get and armoured around. Use it for your datacomms and trench in a new SWA.

6. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Wouldn't the Cat6 not need its own duct anyway due to interference from the mains cable, or are they shielded these days.!!!

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You can get sheilded Cat 6, cost a bit more, but I would consider using the newer Cat 6a instead,as it offers higher performance than Cat 6, & might be a better opition in the long term,you would certianly future proof, but the price is expensive.
    Cat 6a supports 10Gigabit Ethernet over unshielded copper to a full 100m up to 500MHz:eek:.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  8. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

SWA can be buried direct into the ground, no need for ducting if it's at the correct depth. You will also need to think about the earthing if you stick a bathroom in there, bonding etc.

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

10. BigDave

BigDave New Member

Thanks guys so I'll have to go for the 16mm swa and Bury it directly.

I can stick my Internet and phone cables in the pipework on its own.

Do I need 2 or 3 core swa?

11. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I think that's your best bet Dave. If you will be TT ing the shed end just use 2 core, otherwise i'd use 3 core.

12. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

Ok lets look at these aspects for starters

Design current
    Bonding and earthing up together at the origin
    Diversity to be applied to the increased load
    Depth of burial for sub-main

. . .and there's more. .

oh and don't forget ALL of this work needs INSTALLING by an ELECTRICIAN not a diy'er. your completely out your depth, what your building is a small house by the looks of it

All your work comes under BUILDING CONTROL and will need NOTIFICATION and a full blown set of tests to go with it.

All what you have suggested to do is about as wrong as you can get

"Any advice greatly recieved"

Yes heres mine, leave it alone . . a little knowledge is a dangerous thing

You cant do this yourself mate. . .honest.

YOU HAVE BEEN INFORMED IF AT A LATER DATE WHEN QUESTIONS GET ASKED

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  13. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

In a word

YUP!

14. BigDave

BigDave New Member

Thanks for the advice guys - I appreciate it.
    I'm going to buy some 16mm SWA, dig a deep trench to put it in, leave it uncovered, then get a sparky round to connect both ends and check the trench is deep enough before I fill it in. I want this to all be above board.
    Will inform building control at the same time...