pump overrun wiring

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by testing_123, Nov 30, 2009.

1. testing_123

testing_123 New Member

Hello,

Can anyone tell me how to wire in a pump overrun when replacing an old 3 wire boiler with a 5 wire boiler? Can anyone recommend a site with an appropriate diagram?

Thanks

2. picasso.

picasso. New Member

whats a 5 wire boiler ?

3. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

It's quite simple to wire a pump overrun, regardless of whether the old or new (conventional) boiler has that facility. You only need to fit a pipe-return 'stat to continue the supply to the pump after the boiler has switched off.

Lucia.

4. Switcher

Switcher New Member

It's quite simple

Is it?
    Can you explain then how its done?

5. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

Yes, I'd be pleased to, Plumes, if you can't manage to work out the connection to a simple pipe-return 'stat controlling the circulating pump, for yourself....

It's hardly a new idea.

Lucia.

6. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

Jeez!!! Sparks & their heating wiring......LOL!!!

Most new boilers have a terminal block for the pump. Simply wire the pump to that.

Of course, with your new boiler you'll be fitting all the new controls required by the Regs??!!!

7. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

Lucia dear, you stick to trying to work out how to wire a two way light switch & leave the heating wiring to the pros - as your skills are clearly found wanting.

8. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

It's quite simple to wire a pump overrun, regardless of whether the old or new (conventional) boiler has that facility.......

Pullover, sweetie: you have a little problem with reading and comprehension, don't you dear?

It simply isn't true that all modern boilers have a pump overrun facility, but that's rather beside the point, because my suggestion of using a pipe return 'stat referred to all boilers of whatever age.
    If you've never seen that type of pump overrun, then you must still be wet behind the ears despite your continuous boasting.

Why don't <u>you</u> explain to 'Plumes' how a pipe stat might be connected as an overrun if you're so smart? Then I'll let you know if you're correct.

Lucia.

9. Switcher

Switcher New Member

Why don't you explain Lucy.

If not for my benefit then at least for the person who is asking the question?

10. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

MOST new boilers...................When did most become all, dear, dear dear, you appear to have a wee problem with reading & comprehension Luvvie!!

Anyway, what do you need to know about a AT pipe stat & 'make or break' on temperature rise. C NO NC connections. Like most electrical work, it's not rocket science.....piece of **** really..........LOL!!!

11. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

Sparks eh, don't you just luv em!!.............LOL!!!!
    :)

12. silversurfer$$

silversurfer$$ New Member

I dont know why you would want or need to add a pump overrun to a boiler? if the appliance requires it then it will be built in, if its not built in then it means the boiler heat exchanger does not need the overrun protection.

Testing, i think what your asking is you had a conventional boiler with just a switched live, if your replacing the boiler with a model that has a pump overrun then you need to add a permanent live to the boiler and then the pump will need to be wired back to the boiler. so the switched live will bring on the boiler and pump and on shut down the permanent live will supply the pump overrun through the boards electronics.

Hope this is of help

SS

13. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

C NO NC connections. Like most electrical work, it's not rocket science.....

Agreed, it isn't rocket science at all, but you're a little short on substance regarding the actual connnections and installation method........

Why don't you 'Google' it, Mr Jerk-of-all-trades - Chief Executive Officer?

Lucia

14. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

Why don't you 'Google' it, Mr

Listen dear, I was wiring heating controls 35 years ago, when you were still in a Ra-Ra skirt!! Or were you still a bloke then?

[Edited by: admin]

15. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

Listen dear, I was wiring heating controls 35 years ago......

When do you expect to finish that wiring, dear? It's a long time to keep the customer waiting........

You still haven't elaborated on how to wire that simple pipe 'stat, have you? Would you like a little more time?

Cheif Executive Officer, my arse!

Lucia.

16. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

Lucia dear if you can't post up the details Luvvie, just ask...........Stop trying to save face when you clearly are out of your depth.......LOL!!

Are you still trying to work out that intermediate light switch wiring Hen??

17. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

There's only one way to resolve this!

F I G H T F I G H T F I G H T !

BTW Dick old son, Looche (despite her failings) is rather good on Heating controls I belive! ;)

18. imran_

imran_ New Member

I'm disappointed that no-one's mentioned a capacitor or a 555 timer ;) When I was a boy they taught you this stuff on Blue Peter, right before Grange Hill showed you a non-working dodgy lash-up system from a cowboy (spawning the hit "Just Say No".)

19. Teuchter

Teuchter New Member

Mono or astable?

20. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

Why don't you explain Lucy. If not for my benefit then at least for the person who is asking the question?

Plumes, I doubt that this old standard method is particularly relevant for the O/P's boiler, but I'll gladly explain it for your benefit, since you've asked:

As you might know, a standard strap-on pipe stat is a simple changeover switch - switching from the common terminal to either of the other two terminals (make on rise & break on rise). Generally, when used (for example) with a frost stat, the live feed would go to the common terminal and its return would be the 'BOR' terminal.

However, when used as a pump overrun, using 4-core flex from the wiring centre, the 'MOR' and 'BOR' terminals would each have a live connection (permanent live and switched live)and the pump live would be connected to the common terminal. So, depending on the temperature of the return flow, the pump will continue to be fed either by the switched live or the permanent live 'til it has cooled enough.

I can't claim this as 'original thought', being as it is a standard Honeywell practice that we used to employ in the 60's & 70's to prevent 'banging and clanking'.

You'll find more on this, from me and others, if you do a 'search forum' on Electricians' Talk. I recall that JP actually posted a handwritten connection diagram a couple of years ago......

This method of overrun is still used nowadays to protect certain boilers having no overrun facility. It is far more reliable than the 'timer' method used by (some) modern boilers, because it works on actual measured temperature.

If you have any other questions, please address them to my junior partner, Mr Pullover - a mere lad........

Lucia x