Putty problem

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by captainflint, Mar 28, 2015.

1. captainflint

captainflint New Member

I'm hoping someone can help me with this problem. Just over two years ago I had the glass replaced in some of the windows of my house. The putty does not appear to have set properly - it remains so soft that I can easily stick my fingernail into it. The windows have steel frames but the person who installed the new glass says he used a general purpose linseed oil putty which should have been fine. Anyone have any thoughts on what has caused this issue and how it can be fixed? ... I don't want to go replacing the putty only to have the same thing happen again.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

How long is a piece of string?

Even though it skins over, & can be painted after 5 weeks or so, putty can take over 12 months to dry.

3. captainflint

captainflint New Member

The glass was installed nearly two and a half years ago. The putty should surely have set by now? ...

4. captainflint

captainflint New Member

Two years and four months, to be precise (I just checked).

5. I have replaced cracked panes in windows that where ten years old at least and when digging out the old putty it was still soft after the first 2 mil of crust/skin on top, It doesn't need to be rock solid it just needs to fill the gaps and keep the weather out and have a skin on so it can be painted