PVA on new plaster

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by twiggs396, May 17, 2017.

1. twiggs396

twiggs396 New Member

Hi all, my bathroom has just been fully plastered.
    The plasterer told me to mist coat the areas that are to be painted and use a dilute PVA mix to seal the areas that are to be tiled. I have seen on here people say is a big NO!

But in the wet area within the shower/ bath I will be tanking over the PVA. Would this be ok to continue like this. As the other tiles will never really come into contact with water.

Thanks
    Jon

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

NO,NO,NO the pva will activate again once you put tile adhesive on the wall, I use SBR diluted 50/50 with water to prime the wall or Weber PR360, which is a styrene acrylate primer.

3. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

NO NO NO...as Kiab says. It's an old myth that seems to get passed around by some, without any real thought of what, when and why PVA is needed and used. If you buy a brush on tanking kit, it will prob come with a tub of primer so use that. Once the tanking is on, just tile over as normal, you don't prime it again. Any areas that are being tiled but not tanked, use the tanking primer as it's the same stuff as 'tile primer' or use SBR or what Kiab linked too.

KIAB likes this.
  4. twiggs396

twiggs396 New Member

Ok so I wont be using PVA anywhere then.

For the wet area I was going to use the aquaseal, which comes with its own primer and membrane I was going to use no pva here.

I was going to use it in the other no wet areas, but if there is a more suitable product could you recommend a couple please.

Some of the areas will just we painted so I was just going to mist coat and paint.

5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

No need to tank areas where only the odd splash of water will happen.
    Yep, just mist coat bare plaster where painting :)

KIAB likes this.
  6. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Some get away with Pva because they use the good stuff although still a risk. Cheap Pva causes problems every time. Avoid

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Any PVA causes issues.

8. twiggs396

twiggs396 New Member

Ok I have ordered some Weber PR360, looking at my tile adhesive this is the product they recommend.

Glad I didnt go with the advise from my plasterer.:eek:

9. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Yeah. I find it Amazing that some use it as a sealer and get away with it. How do they manage it? Really not good stuff and should avoid it. Still this question comes up repeatedly. Some mix Pva with exterior paint! Why would you do that?

10. twiggs396

twiggs396 New Member

its a bit worrying really, glad I did some research. Just picked up 5L or PR360 for £19.19 from CTD

On 2 walls im doing 1/2 tile 1/2 paint. Does it matter if this primer goes on the area that I will be painting.?

11. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Paint seems to level differently over this type of primer,so can be seen to be different from other painted surfaces. It's not recommended for sealing surfaces prior to painting either. Paint just don't sit well on it and I have had to use a water based primer over it. Thats the only way I can describe what happens if you paint over these types of sealers.

12. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I would draw pencil line at tile / paint junction and prime plaster a few mm short of the line

The primer or tile adhesive can affect the finish when you come to paint. Had this problem myself after being heavy handed with a ready mix tile ady (as the ready mixed contains a primer)

13. twiggs396

twiggs396 New Member

Ok thanks for your help. I will only do It up to the line.