PVA or not to PVA

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Crumbs, May 17, 2016.

1. Crumbs

Crumbs Member

Guys i need to skim some sections of my bathroom prior to tiling, not vast areas.
    Should i apply PVA to it for a better stick?

I know PVA is a big no no before tiling, but this is to go under a layer of skim but will be in wet areas.
    Cheers

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Yes PVA when plastering between coats

Prime finished plaster with acrylic SBR Primer before tiling

As a wet area, did you consider using tile backer board instead of plaster ?

No skimming, no sealing, totaly impervious to water if ever a leak

3. Crumbs

Crumbs Member

Great thanks Dave
    Will the acrylic SBR Primer make it water proof incase the grout/adhensive fails? or do i need something else applied like a DPM coat after before tiling?

I didnt consider that no and it sounds much simplier, unfortunately my knowledge is limited so i dont really know about these products and ripping the current boards out is bit to much work, especially as the bath likely would need removing id imagine - good to know for next time tho cheers. ;)

4. From what I see about SBR, it'll 'promote' the waterproofing as well. But I doubt it's an actual waterproof seal.

Make sure you put down a solid bed of good quality adhesive, and then notch it for the tiles. The grout is just as (even more?) important - again a good quality 'cement-based' type. Ie - do not use 'ready-mixed'...

Do your research on the best adhesive - look especially for those recommended for showering areas & waterproof properties.

5. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

As D A said use a good quality waterproof grout,and make sure you leave at least 24 hours between tiling and grouting,the grout seals the gaps so if the adhesive isn't properly dry before you grout then you can end up with problems like the tiles falling back off.
    A woman who works with the wife had her bathroom redone,the "tiler" said 2 days start to finish,true to his word he did it and it looked lovely,that night she was about to get in the bath and a large section of the tiles fell off,they damaged the bath which emptied onto the floor,went through the ceiling and flooded the kitchen.The adhesive on the tiles was still wet because the silly tiler had tiled then grouted straight away.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  6. :eek: Good job she wasn't already in the bath... :confused:

7. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

Yes,a couple of square metres of tile landing on you could cause some damage,I know she had murder getting it all sorted as the "tiler" was insisting it wasn't his fault!
    OK,sometimes some of the stuff you hear about is funny,but I feel sorry for people when they get ripped off.Ok now if you get a bloke who says he can do a 1k job for a couple of hundred quid then to me alarm bells would start ringing,but these days it's not always the case,people are paying the going rate and still getting ripped off.

8. Crumbs

Crumbs Member

Great thanks lads

Oh bloody hell best let the stuff dry then... don't want that happening haha :oops:

What about this primer? http://www.toppstiles.co.uk/tprod8763/bal-bond-sbr-primer-1ltr.html

Cant really see it mention its acrylic however. There are other ones on there BAL Acyrlic primer but doesn't state SBR.

Do I need to prime the entire area that's being tiled if its the old plaster or just the new plaster / repaired areas?
    Thanks for the tips on the adhesive I was just going to get waterproof wickes tubbed stuff as I am lazy :cool:

9. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Get cement based bagged adhesive that you mix with water. You'll need to prime the walls before though. Dries out better than tubbed adhesive as it goes off by chemical reaction rather than air drying. If you use rapid set adhesive then you can grout after 4 hrs, but if you haven't tiled before then just get normal.

10. Crumbs

Crumbs Member

Thanks Bud I will try to find the stuff. What primer would you use?
    Above recommends acrylic SBR primer though I cannot find this easily at DIY places. Topps tiles sells BAL Primer, BAL ADP Primer, BAL SBR Bond Primer.

First two are acrylic based but the SBR bond isn't that I can see, though I am more drawn to this as it seems to offer better waterproofing aid. Not sure really what the differences between these 3 are though as they all seem like they will be fine? :confused:

11. StevieSteve

StevieSteve Member

I always use SBR, its more versatile. Water it down two parts water, one SBR. I don't buy BAL as its very expensive. I get mine from screwfix, but thats 5 litres at a time.

12. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select