PVA or Not?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by bojo, Apr 22, 2005.

1. bojo

bojo New Member

Hi guys, I'm doing my bathroom at the moment and I need a little help. On the pictures below you will see what I've done with one of the walls - I put an (18mm WBP Plywood) which I bought from Jewsons. Right I've seen some topics from "Mudster" where he says that to use PVA is wrong, but this is what I've done. On the plywood, I use the "Wickes Waterproof PVA Adhesive " (please see the picture on this address http://www.server318.com/boomsearch/img ) and now because I'm not sure if this is right, I need your help before I start tiling. Can you please tell me is that ok or not?

Thanks a lot!

2. There are many products available for lining walls in the very situation you have.

Aquapanel being my preference for stud walls.

Tiles don't like wood, wood expands and contracts and tiles don't. Sometimes situations dictate that plywood is used rather than other substrates, but in your position you have a choice.

If your not using the area as a stand up shower and just as a bath, then plasterboard would actually be better than Ply as a surface on which to tile.

If you tiles the PVA covered wood, I'm not saying it will definately fail, but I am saying the chances of it failing are infinately higher than if you use aother product.

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

If you have used a really weak mix of pva and it soaked well into the wood, you might find it less likely to fail.
    Am I right ?

Handyandy - really

4. MartinF

MartinF New Member

I have used PVA in the past for waterproofing, but not really found it very good at the task - I used it to seal the cut edges of the shelf and backboard in my kitchen sink unit, but it failed miserably.

You should use BAL Bond, which is an SBR adhesive and far more water resistant than PVA. It can be used to seal ply (i have just done the rear faces of my new ply bathroom floor with it), and it can be used as a primer to give added adhesion.

You could be fooled for thinking that SBR is PVA, but is it not, it goes on the same way, and dries pretty quickly.

You should be able to get BAL Bond from most tile suppliers or plumbers merchants, I assume that there are other manufacturers of SBR primer out there as well.

5. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

I would use a good quality cement based flexible adhesive, and hope for the best. I dont think i've ever seen 18mm ply on walls before.

6. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

Yes Bal recommend Bal bond on the underside and the sides of the board but they dont normally recommend doing anything to the top side of the ply before tiling, this is for floors though, cant comment on walls.

7. Take it down and start again, you're in a position now where that's pretty easy to do and not expensive.

Replace it with a product that you know won't fail.

8. bojo

bojo New Member

Ok, but what is the problem? - because I put 18mm plywood on the wall or because I put the PVA on top of it? I already buy the plywood which cost me about £70 I don't really want to lose this money and go and buy something else. I've been told in Jewsons shop that this is ok for the wall....

Can you tell me what can I put on top of the PVA t5o cover it?

9. bojo

bojo New Member

Ok, but what is the problem? - because I put 18mm plywood on the wall or because I put the PVA on top of it? I already buy the plywood which cost me about £70 I don't really want to lose this money and go and buy something else. I've been told in Jewsons shop that this is ok for the wall....

Can you tell me what can I put on top of the PVA t5o cover it?

10. PVA is the problem, Plywood is the problem, the combination of the two will create a failure more than likely.

You can't cover the PVA, my advice is take it down and replace it. £70 isn't a whole lot of money compared to a failed tiled bathroom.

11. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

Leave the ply up and just overboard with tile backer board, less cuts and less waste.

12. craig grimsberg

craig grimsberg New Member

13. tiles a pyke's mobile caravan once that was ply, had to use melted down tyres to adhere them and keep the joints clear, what a nightmare, mudster, what was the name of that ol' gear, came in a red bag and a 2.5lt solution to go with it....

14. bojo

bojo New Member

What if I put BAL PRIME APD on top of the PVA, like this one here http://www.dunlop-adhesives.co.uk/bal/main/bal_prod/primeapd.html

it that will help, or another option is if I unscrew the plywood and turn from the other side which is clear. Also I've been told that "WBP Plywood" is especially tested and is waterproof and is good for my bathroom.

Is there anything I can cover the PVA or I have to turn the plywood from the other side?

15. bojo

bojo New Member

I heart about some kind of sheets that I can put on top of the plywood but I don't know what is this?

16. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

Go to Wickes and buy some Aquapanel, it's under £12 for a 1200mm x 900mm sheet and can be screwed directly onto your ply. No need to find studs, just straight on. Use the ceramic coated screws that are normally on a shelf next to the aquapanel and apply the glass fibre tape with your tile adhesive over the joints of the board. Once dry you are ready to tile.

17. bojo

bojo New Member

18. Mr Kipling

Mr Kipling New Member

Looks like a wind up to me. Not answering your replies and just coming up with other daft options:^O

19. bojo

bojo New Member

Why, whats wrong? I just need some help like everyone else, including you as well...

20. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

OK bojo. If you are not going to fit your tiles onto the pva, how about trying to remove it ?

Get yourself some metholated spirits, a terylene-type towel or flannels as rags. Paint on the meths(goes everywhere) and wipe off with your rags. Have many rags, as once wiped the pva gunks up the rags quickly.
    Then wash down with water and allow to dry.

Then use one of the proprietry sealers mentioned above, and off you go.

Handyandy - really