quote for new boiler

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by maxiboy, Jun 10, 2014.

1. maxiboy

maxiboy New Member

Hello all , I am looking for some help, I have just had a quote to have a new boiler fitted, my existing system is an old potterton floor standing jobbie, open vented system, I have been quoted £2730 to have it replaced with a vailant 831 combi with flue exiting through the roof (bungalow) also fit magnaclen filter, price include all pipework and fittings, my question is, is that a fair price as I dont have a clue , regards mike

2. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

Sounds a fair price to me,but always best to get a few estimates.

3. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Less than £3000 is good - in London anyhow.

4. maxiboy

maxiboy New Member

Thanks for the replies so far, just to mention that price is using existing rads and pipework,

5. Cheburashka

Cheburashka Active Member

Sounds about right.

6. plumberboy

That's a good price for the work that will be carried out.

7. Where are you, Maxi?

8. maxiboy

maxiboy New Member

Hello DA I'm in oxfordshire

9. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

hello maxiboy, that sounds about right for down there, the boiler, flue and stuff will be £1500 ish, there's a day to day and half work for a plumber and mate,then there's all the parafinalia over registration/warrantee, time quoting,purchacing,delivery getting round traffic etc, but like PB says get at least 2 more quotes anyway, ;)

Jitender and FatHands like this.
  10. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

That is a good price for a conversion to combi, Vaillant, vertical flue possible condensate pump. I would urge a bit of caution, most modern systems need a clean system or they heat exchangers can be damaged. Ask your installer how he intends to clean it and will he be using a magnetic filter as a means of keeping the system clean. Just Google Magnaclean to see the type of device Im talking about. If he leave a dirty system your warranty will be invalidated and Vaillant do carry out onsite water testing for every callout.
    Also will he be fitting TRV's to your radiators nix there not already fitted as they are a requirement under Doc J for a system upgrade.

11. itchyspanner

itchyspanner Member

very good price imo. min 2 days work, 0.5 to 1 day flushing and commissioning etc. As dave mentioned find out how they will flush the system.

a magnetic filter is a good thing, it wont stop most non magnetic problems tho and some engineers fit them as a poor alternative to a proper flush out. Best solution is a good flush out (be it a gravity, mains, power flush, rads on garden hose, what ever the system needs) and a filter to protect against future issues.

12. meady

meady Member

I'd do it for less ;)

13. plumberboy

I'll do it lesser.:)

14. dan6770

dan6770 New Member

Dont forget to look into the GHIF ( green deal home improvement fund )

Only last week i had my boiler replaced. The original was an old Ideal Elan 2 (late 80's) boiler that packed up. Had a green deal approved company round and had a final quote for £2800. This was to remove old boiler in kitchen and fit new Ideal Code Combi 38kw in the airing cupboard upstairs. Price included ripping out all old stuf rerouting the gas and fitting a vertical flue (as wal not near outside wall) also to have a condensing pump to drain to the gutter.
    I received £1000 of this in the form of the goverment voucher so £1800 all in!!!! Very Happy. Check this site out for more info:- https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...guide-to-the-green-deal-home-improvement-fund

15. meady

meady Member

I think the green deal got pulled yesterday

16. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

that's a shame, the Green Deal was such a success

17. Tsk, I can never tell when Sean is being sarcy.

Wait, yes I can - it's when he posts on here.

Sean_ork likes this.
  18. sam spade

sam spade Active Member

I think you mean Doc L.

In any case TRVs are not a requirement if all you are doing is replacing the boiler. It is recommended as the system will be drained down while the boiler is being replaced.

See http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/domestic_building_services_compliance_guide.pdf

Page 9, para 1.7