radiator comes off of brackets if knocked

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by crest, Jan 30, 2015.

1. crest

crest New Member

Hi I have a customer who lives in a 3 year old house. The rads have been plumbed in using plastic pipe. They have a small rad in a bedroom that if they catch it while hoovering it comes off of the brackets. Because with no clipped copper piping the only thing keeping it in place is its self weight. They are worried because they have a toddler who could easily dislodge the rad. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Are there any brackets / clips available that would stop this from happening?
    Thanks
    Steve

2. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Fit it with copper and clip, my own view is using plastic up to a rad is awful but so many "plumbers" are looking for the easy way out.
    I would suggest a small radiator cover on clips / screws, or a shelf above with a couple of blocks / stops underneath touching the rad.

3. Blimey - it simply cannot be sitting on its brackets properly, surely?! Or the bracket 'slots' are too short.

The rad gets bumped off if clonked by the hoover?!!! That's nuts.

Although I agree that visible plastic pipe is hellish, I wouldn't blame the pipe for this - I know that copper pipe adds to firmness and security of many fittings, but to rely on it to stop a rad being knocked off its bracket is asking for trouble... If there's that much movement, then how long before any copper joints under the floor stress-out?

Crest, it needs a good look at; shut off both valves, drain the rad and remove it. See what the hell is going on. Look behind the rad and wobble it about - could it be that one of the mounting plates on the rad is bent and not clipped in? Or are they spaced badly so's they don't sit fully in both slots?

There has got to be a 'reason' that ain't 'plastic pipe'.

Take a 4" angle grinder and a pot of paint (actually, take a tube of white StixAll or similar).

Worst case - grind the slots down another 5mm and refit the brackets. Add a dollop of StixAll to each and refit the rad. The plastic pipe will hopefully push down the extra 5mm into the floor to cope (glad now it's plastic...?!)

Jobbie jobbed.

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Did something similar to one of my new small single radiators.

The welded on hangers weren't level so had to grind it out using a grinder.

Are the plastic inserts in the brackets fitted. These do help reduce movement.

5. Albertross boy

Albertross boy New Member

I'm glad theirs somebody like you on here Devil's Advocate
    Its probably brackets come loose on wall, they try and put rad brackets on dot and dab walls with wall plugs and then wonder why rads come loose after one bump
    right fixings for the right job
    Jitender, you can use the slots on rad brackets if you use correct fixings then move bracket up or down on one end to level the rad
    simples

6. Albertross boy

Albertross boy New Member

sorry Jitender penny just dropped on what you was on about
    Apologies to you

7. crest

crest New Member

Hi all thanks for the advice the brackets are firmly fixed to the wall. I will check to see if the little plastic lugs are in place