Radiator tails too low :(

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by daril, May 26, 2015.

1. daril

daril New Member

Hi,

I've had some plumbing work done - new radiators but it seems like the they were plumbed in to the sub floor level. I've had a final floor put on top and now they look visually too close the floor. Also kitchen floor was screeded after the radiators were piped in and hung on the wall. So also too low :( :(

The question I have is how do I get this corrected? Is it possible to extend the copper tails above floor/ground or is it better to take up the concrete sub floor around the pipes and do the join there?

Will I have to get the floor board taken up to extend the tails where they are too short?

What options are there for joining copper to copper above floor and it not to leak/weep? How about the chrome valve extenders or are these for horizontal extension between valve and radiator not for copper?

Thanks.

2. The neatest (slimmest) way to join/extend copper pipe is to use end-feed solder fittings, I guess. Once the rads are fitted, you can then cover these using clip-on sleeves in whatever finish you like.

I think this should all be pretty straight-forward. No need for any floor-digging or nuffink.

(Like all solder fittings, they need to be dry inside before soldering.)

3. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Not a big job for a pro, drain the system, then clear the residue water out with a wet hoover. Like DA says extend the pipes using end feed fittings and re hang the rads to suit.

Clip on Sleeves YUCK

Polish your pipework every morning with Brasso ;)

FatHands likes this.
  4. Polish, ma botty.

5. daril

daril New Member

thanks for the advice. do you mean this end feed slip coupling: http://www.directheatingsupplies.co.uk/copper-straight-end-feed-slip-coupling-15mm if it's a 15mm copper rad pipe tail, then will the diameter of the end feed solder fittings.. need to be more than 15mm in order for the 15.. to fit inside the coupling.

i'd prefer to hide the entire pipe in to something like this: http://www.theradiatorshop.ie/valves-accessories/415-chrome-radiator-pipe-cover-kit-ireland.html rather than the snap on bits of silver plastic.. problem is with the pipe cover it's 18mm, will the coupling diameter exceed it?

6. daril

daril New Member

i wrote to the kudox people as their manufacturing specs said 150mm, but then they said with old houses it doesn't matter.. visually they look wrong and if someone wanted to put carpet in the future there might be an inch between the carpet and floor.. so yep, has to be done! i was really annoyed about it.. why don't people think before they do things like this..

7. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

How much was the floor raised with screed then?

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Usually between 50mm -75mm for a screed, can be 50mm if screed has reinforcement (Polypropylene fibres) added.

FatHands likes this.
  9. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

thanks Kiab :)

10. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Did you actually specify to the plumber that the floor was being raised and by what height ?
    I ask because of the amount of time the client has you do a job and just as your finishing the turn round and say, "oh by the way" and there is a days work wasted because the information was not fully divulged in the first case.

11. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

More than likely a plumber will just use these fittings daril to extend the rad pipes, a basic stock item for a plumber and just cost pennies - (materials obviously, not labour) !!

http://www.screwfix.com/p/end-feed-straight-coupler-15mm-pack-of-20/81276

Your pipe sleeves will still fit over the coupler, providing the soldering is neat with no big blobs and drips :eek:

Look on eBay for pipe sleeves and try to find them in meter lengths. Just cut with scissors and will work out cheaper for you