Radiator under new oak worktop

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Ant1988, Sep 13, 2014.

1. Ant1988

Ant1988 New Member

Due to limited space I have to put a worktop on the wall where there's a convector radiator. How can I protect the wood? Can I buy a deflector or radiator cover? There's no where else for radiator or worktop to go. Under floor heating isn't an option. Help please.

2. I presume the worktop is open at the front - no units - so's heat can escape to the room?

Anyways, it would make sense to protect the oak worktop from being excessively dried oot, so perhaps something like http://www.coveryourwall.co.uk/wallrock-thermal-liner.html and maybe a layer of foil over that - should provide adequate insulation etc.

With the rad under an overhanging top, you may not get the air flow you had before due to weird air currents, so perhaps later you could build a basic cover (doesn't have to be pretty...) with an open top and bottom slots to encourage air to be drawn in over the rad and oot t'top?

IF is doesn't work as well, and also IF this sorts it...

3. Ant1988

Ant1988 New Member

Thanks for your reply. Yes, it's a sort of breakfast bar so open at the front. When you say a basic cover, do you mean a proper radiator cover would protect the worktop? I've requested a sample of the thermal liner. Would you suggest I give the worktop several coats of oil before attaching the liner? How does it attach? Sorry for so many questions!

4. Ant1988

Ant1988 New Member

Anyone else have any comments or advice?

5. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Solid wood worktops have to be oiled on both sides before installation anyway. Dunno about having a radiator underneath one. It's a situation I've never come across tbh. ;);)

6. snezza30

snezza30 Member

It sounds like a recipe for disaster to me...!!!!!

I don't think anything you put on the underneath side of the wooden worktop will prevent it from moving.

Can you not fit a Plinth/ Kickspace heater underneath an adjacent cabinet? You can get one that connects to the pipework and turns on and off when the central heating turns on and off.

Snezza.

7. joinerjohn1

We heard you the first time Snezz (Unless there's an echo in here) ;););)

8. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

What did he say!!:)

9. snezza30

snezza30 Member

oops...!

Don't know what happened there.... I've deleted the other posts....Sorry about that.

10. Ant1988

Ant1988 New Member

Oh dear! Thanks for your thoughts. I think the solution will be to have a cold kitchen and turn off the radiator. The option for a heater in the plinth would have been great before the floor boards, hard board, and tiles were put down.

So a raduator cover wouldn't help?

11. snezza30

snezza30 Member

The heat that your radiator is going to produce, is always going to rise. No type of radiator cover is going to prevent that. The heat will dry the wooden top in that area and it will start to shrink and move, possibly cracking the worktop.

Can you not build a short section of boxing to hide the pipework,( perhaps cover it with floor tiles....!!!???) and re-route the radiator pipework to an adjacent cabinet.

Just a suggestion!

Snezza.

12. moppylhd

moppylhd Member

Are there units above the work top. If not, you could extend the pipework and fit a trendy rad above the worktop.
    [​IMG]

13. Ant1988

Ant1988 New Member

Yes, there are wall cupboards. The kitchen is so compact there isn't room to manoeuvre changing things around.

Thanks everyone.

14. Sorry for the late reply, Ant.

By 'basic' cover I meant chust that - a basic panel in front of the rad to encourage air flow up the bottom and oot the top. Full width with ~150mm gap at t'bottom and t'top.

Ok, the comments above are fair enough, and these guys wouldn't entertain fitting an oak top over a rad 'cos they'd be liable when - if - something went wrong.

However...

What width of top are we talking aboot? And are there units or support panels at each side - ie: is there an obvious rectangular area of worktop that'll be exposed to the rad's heat?

This is what I'd do. First, yes, oil the underside as one should - don't worry about the finish, rubbing-down, that sort of stuff, just liberally oil it. Then get a sheet of something - 15/18mm MDF, a kitchen unit side panel, PLY, whatever will fit the area under the top.

Cut it to the right width and depth of the oak top that's above the rad but stop it short of the front by whatever is need so's it can't be easily seen.

Get a similarly sized sheet of insulation - the 6mm-thick fibreboard you get for under laminate floors would be fine. Make a sandwich of the insulation board on top of the panel and screw that to the bottom of the oiled oak top with as many short screws as it takes - one in each corner and spaced every 400mm-odd in between.

If the rad's heat affects that worktop I'm a Scotsman.

Then make your rad front panel - just a panel with a 150mm gap at t'bottom and same at t'top. This is purely to encourage air flow over the rad so's it works properly. This might not be needed of course, so perhaps don;t bother to start with.

Jobbie jobbed. And I'm 99.9997% certain you'll be fine.

15. joinerjohn1

Aye but ye are though. Ya bamshie. :p:p:p:p

16. Anteater99

Anteater99 New Member

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your detailed reply. Wow, just the info/help I need. I'll take your advice and hopefully will still have a worktop this time next year! Many, many thanks.

17. itchyspanner

itchyspanner Member

cut and glue/screw some 6mm supalux uder the worktop .