Radiators only heat up when hot water on - oil - Euroflame 50/70 boiler

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Candy Brewer, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Candy Brewer

Candy Brewer New Member

First time posting so bear with me - also a lady who is not very technical when it comes to stuff like this.

I have an oil boiler called Grant Euroflame 50/70 utility boiler and a Honeywell timer thing that controls the water and heating.
    My radiators and boiler will only fire up when the hot water is on - why?
    If my heating is on (on honeywell) the light is on but boiler does not fire up. If i press the override switch on the water or the water is at the time for it to come on then the boiler fires up and the radiators get hot (sometimes too flipping hot that you can't touch them, then its a case of going round and turning them down). My thermostat which is in the kitchen doesnt seem to make any difference to the heat because at the moment its on zero and once the hot water comes on the radiators still heat up.

Any ideas what I can do, Im reluctant to call someone in because of cost and worrying that I will get ripped off (from previous experiences)

Thanks in advance

2. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Sounds like its your diverter valve is at fault, unless your confident to do some tests etc you will need to make that call.
    Best advice to protect yourself from the cowboys and ripoff merchants is to ask your neighbours or work colleagues for recommendations of a good plumber.
    If no luck on that route try Checkatrade and have a read of the plumbers reviews etc.

3. Remloc

Remloc New Member

Try Buy with confidence scheme which is run by Trading Standards to find a tradesman either a electrician or heating engineer to help rectify the issue as it sounds like a divertor/3port valve issue