RCCB protection

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by yorkyguy, Apr 21, 2015.

1. yorkyguy

yorkyguy Active Member

Cheers,

I'm like you, successfully done work for many years but the endless obstacles mean I wont bother. Ta ta for now:(

2. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

Brian I may have got posts mixed up. Do you intend to sell in the near future?
    Posts crossed.
    Don't give up yet see what unphased says .
    He did say he would help you

3. yorkyguy

yorkyguy Active Member

OK we don't intend to sell - its a Gd II listed cottage in North Yorks which will stay in the family after we have both departed this mortal coil/toil. I DO have complete confidence in the entire physical/practicalities of it wiring/glanding/trenches etc etc. - done it for years - but as others have said, forums (present company EXCLUDED) are a real mixed blessing - the more you stir it the more................. Without wanting to sound arrogant, I know exactly what I need to do regarding all physical aspects of the installation and the neatness etc. will be of the highest order. Its part P and the legalities and additional expense which put me off.

cheers

B

4. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

A the end of the day if you do all the work then you will at least have to test the finished installation and make sure the results are within the tables in the 17th edn - you just cannot circumvent that Brian tbqh. As to the Part P etc aspect, I could not possibly comment on that tbqh.

5. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Pressing test buttons on RCD's means virtually sweet xx

6. PaulBlackpool

Hi JP
    just an amateur seeking knowledge and advice. Pressing the test button on a RCD just checks the mechanical operation of the device as I understand it.
    I have a Kewteck Loopcheck 107 which checks the usual, plus earth loop test and a button which trips the RCD trips the RCD. I have a full range multi-meter.
    I can check continuity of cables with a battery and a LED.
    Please excuse my naivety and I pleased be assured I am not trying to be clever, the reverse if anything but what further test instruments would I need to buy? (Kewteck do a full " Megger equivalent" for about £500 if all else fails)
    Thanks in advance
    Paul

7. yorkyguy

yorkyguy Active Member

The 25 quid I get back for the CU will get me a couple of CDs. They are completely safe!

8. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Hi Paul. I cant possibly advise you on what instruments to buy m8 mainly because I am diy. Myself I use 3 Robins - 1 for rcd trip, the other for continuity/IR etc, and the last one does loop. With ref to led and battery for continuity check - its a no go m8 (and I mean that with all due respect and it is better then nowt, maybe better to use the multi meter tbqh)) so you need a proper continuity checker which will give you end to end etc in a proper readout fashion..I don't know how accurate the plug in 107 is, but it maybe good enough - you would have to ask the sparks on that matter.

So all you might need is a proper continuity checker to put things in a nutshell.

PaulBlackpool likes this.
  9. PaulBlackpool

Hi JP. Sorry if I put you on the spot. I have been following your posts amongst all the others on the electrical forum for the last couple of years and respect your level of knowledge as an amateur and that is why I asked you and not one of the professionals as I know you test everything thoroughly but might have not spent thousands on the latest test gear. Thanks very much for your help. This is a link to my socket tester if you are interested.
    http://www.pat-services.co.uk/kewtech-loopcheck107-socket-tester?gclid=CPKf6_6mmcUCFUQUwwodMy4AWw
    Best Regards
    Paul

10. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Hi Brian

I must agree with Unphased. You do seem to be asking all the right questions in the right order.

Test equipment doesn't have to cost an arm and leg. If you are going to be carrying out work over the next few years on the property and maintaining it than look at these instruments http://www.pat-services.co.uk/electrical-testers/lv/multifunction-testers. They will allow you to do all the tests you need to do and when you need to do them. £500 well spent.

Carry on with your project and come back with your questions as they arise and the majority of the pro's on here will guide you. One or two may have a go or be having a bad day but don't let that put you off.

Kind regards

BS

11. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Oh, yes that was the other thing. I don't know many houses being sold (other than brand new) that come with genuine electrical test certs. All estate agents adverts and documentation advise you get your own checks completed so even they don;t trust the validity of supplied documents.

Load of carp!! Man up and get on with it lol.

Kind regards

Chun Wong likes this.
  12. yorkyguy

yorkyguy Active Member

Hello,

Yes I manned up last weekend and installed everything. The CU is in the shed (out of sight for anyone wanting a free supply) all neat and tidy -6 amp light, 20 amp radial for one socket and a 30mA RCD (as I remember) with a 14mtr trench around a lawn perimeter at least 400mm deep with SWA in the bottom of the 'vee'. Lifted a 600x1200 path flag, ducted the SWA in a conduit and drilled a 1mtr 25mm hole in a solid stone wall!! - (this was dramatic and hard work!) - everything is out of sight. SWA is terminated in the cupboard awaiting phase 2. Nothing is connected up yet so I am awaiting the '107' from Pass.

I have observed that the earth supplied by the elec. company leaves the main fuse and is joined in a rather ancient bakalite junction box! Certainly not my work and it appears to have been there some time. Surely the earth would be better as an uninterrupted run from the board's main fuse to the CU? However I DO NOT intend to interfere with this. Is the 'board' responsible for this part of the supply?

13. PaulBlackpool

You should not touch anything on the board on which the cut-out and meter are installed.
    A qualified electrician might do something about it but it is not a DIY proposition IMHO.
    My main earth was hanging by a whisker and could have been pulled off by a mouse!
    This was rectified by the 60 amp cut-out being replaced by 100 amp by the DNO.
    I also got the supplier to install a modern meter.
    Finally my electrician installed a 16 way CU.

14. yorkyguy

yorkyguy Active Member

Hello Paul,

My Kewtech 107 arrived today - checked some of the sockets on the West Yorks location - all showing green - which is what I expected to be honest. Re the North Yorks (shed) location - I note your comment re the flimsy earth!. The 'board' fitted a new digital meter a couple of years ago whilst the current earth installation was there and they made no comment or took no remedial action. Do I ring them and get them to sort this out? When I'm up this w/e I'll see what the 107 reveals in the first instance.

15. PaulBlackpool

Hi Brian
    As A DIY'er I could not really answer your question. Remember that although an electrician might well use a socket tester of lower specification than that which we both have to test some of the sockets he would also do a proper earth loop test with a proper instrument such as:-
    http://www.pat-services.co.uk/kewtech-kt65-installation-tester
    Even if I had one of these I would not have the experience or legality to use it.
    ( I would still like one though!;)) but if I bought one it would not be the electricity that killed me it would be my missus!:)
    The fact that your earth goes through an ancient bakalite box should not cause undue concern. The cable might just have been extended decades ago. I don't think you as a DIY'er would get very far phoning the DNO and as I have indicated there is most likely no need. If you can get an electrician to check your installation all the better.

seneca likes this.
  16. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Paul you flatter us. :p

PaulBlackpool likes this.