RCD test

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by fanzone vinny, Nov 30, 2016.

1. fanzone vinny

fanzone vinny New Member

Hi All,
    I'm a new electrician so go easy, anyway after installing a fan to bathroom I then proceeded to carry out my basic tests for mwc. earth fault loop test fine, proceeded to test Rcd at end of circuit so as to be sure the circuit is protected as its in a special location, Connected leads and peformed 1x and got greater than 2000 ms, then tested on 5x and got greater than 40 ms, the test button works fine and it trips out at the socket outlet, p.s all switches were open.
    What am I doing wrong?
    Thanks

2. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Would have thought that the fan switch should have been closed when performing test Fanzone?

3. fanzone vinny

fanzone vinny New Member

how come , its a 3 pole isolator

4. fanzone vinny

fanzone vinny New Member

Sorry Jp, It was

5. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

200ms on x1, I think?

fanzone vinny likes this.
  6. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

Leaving aside your question for a second an RCD is not supposed to be tested at the end of the circuit. It is the device you are testing and not the circuit. Ideally test at the terminals of the device with final circuit conductors disconnected.

7. fanzone vinny

fanzone vinny New Member

Is that because the test can be problematic at the circuit end?
    Or for practicality

8. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

I plug my rcd tester into sockets and stuff sometimes Mr R..and sometimes use SL16 lead with it.

tore81 likes this.
  9. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

As Risteard says, it is only the device that youa re testing.
    If you leave wires connected to the RCD, then there may be earth leakage on these attached conductors and this will skew/scrog/invalidate any tests that you are doing.

Pete Jones and fanzone vinny like this.
  10. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

My Robin RCD trip time tester instrument comes with plug and iec connector - you plug it into sockets and do the trip sequence..I also purchased SL16 test lead for it, and have never had spurious readings (all readings within stipulated trip time parameters)

longboat likes this.
  11. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

What if the circuit wasn't connected with an RCD up-front, but you thought it was? Testing the RCD 'solo' proves nothing about the circuit it should be protecting.

fanzone vinny likes this.
  12. fanzone vinny

fanzone vinny New Member

Ok Great, so we assume the RCD will trip under fault even though it was not tested at where I want protection, I,d still sleep easy knowing it tripped out at the business end

longboat likes this.
  13. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Blowed if I understand any of it. I've always tested at socket and other positions, and never had a problem.

14. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

On an rcd test it's the rcd itself that is being tested, not the circuit that it's supplying!

15. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

I think I understand Sen. You test the rcd directly to prove it works properly. So you test the eli, and continuity, and ir - and as long as these pass then the rcd must operate correctly?

seneca likes this.
  16. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

What tester are you using out of interest? Are you sure your connections are OK?

17. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

So why on an EIC is there any need to record the disconnect times for each circuit?
    You could just test all RCD's once on the board without connecting anything, regardless of which circuit their eventually supplying?

18. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

I think I will carry on as I have always done it..but will also test rcd directly before plugging in tester to various parts of the circuitsl

19. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

I think that maybe to allow for rcbo's longboat

20. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Yep, with the circuit still connected. :)

FatHands likes this.