Re commissioning gas appliance with NCS faults

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by elefantman, Jul 10, 2014.

1. elefantman

elefantman Member

Hi, please help to clear this up if you can.
    A gas fire that has been shut off at the point of service due to suspected mixing within the flue,also noted on the cp12 are lesser NCS defects within the builders opening.
    Due to the service taking place on an adversely windy day the first job is a simple retest followed if necessary by a bag and test.
    It passed the retest and so could be re commissioned .
    I believe at this point it is necessary to also carry out NCS faults however it appears this has not been done, just re serviced and turned on with NCS noted, because the appliance was disconnected and capped from the supply I thought it was wrong to do this or is it just bad practice ?

2. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

There is no longer a NCS category, an appliance is now considered At Risk or Immediatly Dangerous, the NCS category is obsolete.
    However whoever re commissioned it is taking a big risk, how can he or she sign off an appliance that is not to current standards. If it's not to current standard it can't be used.

3. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

when did that change Dave?,

4. elefantman

elefantman Member

I have always thought you could not reconnect from a shut off without it complying to all the required regs, I wouldn't reconnect it but then I wouldn't use ptfe on ecvs either, and I've found a few of them!

5. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

NCS is still valid, category changes only out for consultation at the moment. Follows on from a fatality back in 2010 from memory - speed that the "powers that be" move at means that it will probably be at least a decade before there are any changes :eek:

6. itchyspanner

itchyspanner Member

what defect in the builder poening has been classified as ncs?

7. G&W Plumbing & Heating

G&W Plumbing & Heating Active Member

NCS is still current??? When you say mixing in flue? What is that?
    An open flued gas fire has too many install requirements to discuss casually.

8. elefantman

elefantman Member

"Mixing within flue why is that" I worry I really do, did you serve your time or are you a quicky pass?

9. G&W Plumbing & Heating

G&W Plumbing & Heating Active Member