Re-wire awkward house

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by peter palmer, Jan 14, 2015.

1. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Hi again.

I have been asked to re-wire a dilapidated farm house that is being tarted up on the cheap. Its basically derelict (think the 28DL site) but the owners are doing it up to put a tenant in there to stop the place getting robbed. Its only for a year or so until their other plans come to fruition.

Everything can be surface mounted, its just to get the place safe, The problem is there is not a straight wall or ceiling in the place and a million twists and turns for the trunking.

A couple of questions, has anyone done anything like this and used FP200 (white) clipped direct for the wiring, I know its a bit more expensive but by the time you have bought twin and earth and the YT2 there's not that much in it. Also they don't want any hard wired smoke alarms fitted but the place looks like a tinder box to me, coupled with some probable pisshead living there its not a good combination, would anyone be happy with just putting a limitation on the cert that there are no mains smoke alarms.

P.S. What is anyone paying for 100m 2.5 2C FP200 at the moment, copper is falling in value but after a quick look on line its still about £150+vat.

They also want to heat the place electrically, any ideas of the cheapest way to do this apart from a load of £15 2KW cheapo heaters, There are about 10 big rooms/landings to do.

Thanks.

Edit, actually SWA and metal clad may be the way to go thinking about it.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  2. flateric

flateric Well-Known Member

This looks like one of those walk away type jobs to me :rolleyes: Don't want a proper job don't get any job ;)

FatHands and Allybally like this.
  3. peter palmer

Cant do that, we get a lot of work of them and you never know whats round the corner.

4. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I think t/e and a few lengths of mini-trunking will be much less costly than FP200 or swa, by the time you take into account glands and metal boxes/sockets/switches etc. If you wanted to be really rough you could just clip the t/e directly to the wall, nothing say's it has to be in containment of any sort, although trunking would be easier to make a neat job.

5. Allybally

Allybally Member

I'd second Seneca, a bit of mini trunking done nicely doesn't look that offensive, and if it's only temporary surely the proposed tenants can't really quibble about a bit of plastic on the wall, much rather that than cable clips all over the house, at least surface trunking looks nice

Ally

seneca likes this.
  6. peter palmer

I would do it in trunking in a heartbeat if it was a normal house, its just that there is going to be a million and one cuts and mitres and any profit will be eaten up by the time it takes to install it all.

I envisage I need about 400m 2.5 and 300 1.5

7. Allybally

Allybally Member

I think you have answered your own question with what you are going to do, clipping cables vs trunking and going to be a lot slower, I would say buying the pre made angle covers would outweigh the labour cost of installing FP cable by at loads, it's your call though, I would spray if they have to money to rewire a house temporary for a year then 200 quid on trunking accessories shouldn't be an issue

Ally

8. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Just use trunking on the easier straight parts then, the t/e doesn't have to be in trunking everywhere provided there's no mechanical damage likely. I remember doing some work in an old cottage with exposed ceiling beams a few years ago and to have used trunking on all the awkward bits would have been almost impossible!

9. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

White or black 20mm flexible plastic conduit for the awkward bits. Any good?

10. Owain

Owain Member

It may be better to just do lounge / kitchen / 2 bedrooms to a reasonable standard, and let it as such, rather than doing up the whole house to a lettable standard. The sort of tenants who would take on a 10 room house in manky condition are not likely to be good custodians.

Mains powered smoke alarms are likely to be mandatory in rented property under housing health and safety rating system as well as required by landlord's insurance. They can be radio interlinked though.

Personally I think T&E with buckle clips can be neater than trunking, especially once painted over,

11. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

20mm white or black plastic conduit is quite malable for awkward runs with a little heat applied from a Hairdryer! :cool:

12. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

FP is a pain to use and nice at the same time, if you see what I mean.

That's Sinewave on the left:

[​IMG] ;)

sinewave, unphased and FatHands like this.
  13. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

Limitations are not appropriate to an Electrical Installation Certificate. Although this is irrelevant given that smoke detection is not a BS 7671 requirement anyway - it is the Building Regulations which are relevant.

14. peter palmer

Should have said departures really, there is a box on the cert to put the number of smoke alarms that have been fitted.

15. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Which, I think, should proberably be more than zero as far as building control go.

16. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

It's just a 9 to 5 job! :D

17. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Got a location so I can take some pics?

18. peter palmer

Just one from streetview

farm.jpg

19. Owain

Owain Member

That's probably worth about £5m in the south-east of England, or £100k in bits of Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland.

Straighten Up likes this.
  20. moppylhd

moppylhd Member