Readymix concrete

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Heliox, Nov 8, 2006.

1. Heliox

Heliox New Member

Hi All

Can anyone tell me what the average cost is for a m3 of readymix concrete for a floorslab?

I got a 32 sq.m floor to lay in my barn and want to work out if its worth mixing it myself or just buying it in.

p.s I already know which is easier.

2. plastererboy

plastererboy New Member

Hi,

Laid concrete floor recently using readymix, it costed me 380quid approx for 7cubic metres, that was in Buckinghamshire..

Dunno if price is different where you re,

Cheers

3. Heliox

Heliox New Member

Hi Plasterboy

Thanks for your reply
    I just got a quote for 7tonne (3.5m3) and its £326 inc delivered.

There is just no contest for self mixing!
    Self mix works out roughly at 6tonne ballast (£19/tonne loose delivered=£114)
    1040kg cement (52* 20kg bags of cement at £2.60/bag=£135)
    self mix is approx £249 which=£77 saving which you would probably spend on ralgex and nurofen ;)

I'll be ordering readymix for sure!

4. wardoss

wardoss New Member

Cost depends on how far from the plants you are.

It might be worth comparing price for a 6m3 lorry and pay the part loads with a small mix vehicle if there are any that can hold upto 4m3 in your area

Where abouts are you

5. The Landlord

The Landlord New Member

That sounds cheap,i have just put footings in for my garage and a full 6 m load cost me £70 a cube,i need a 6m load for the slab as well,is this cheaper than a footing mix.

Cheers Paul

6. ­

­ New Member

> Laid concrete floor recently using readymix, it
    costed me 380quid approx for 7cubic metres, that was
    in Buckinghamshire..

Sorry plasterboy but this is nonsense. We are building several house in Bucks and we pay £70.80 + vat per cubic metre so a 7 metre load costs over £580!

And we buy loads of it so we get good rates.

7. ­

­ New Member

btw, that was for a C20 mix suitable for footing trench or slab.

Sometimes a C16 can be used in footings but this only saves about £4 a cubic metre.

8. Simes

Simes New Member

Hi, just laid a 6 sq metre drive and phoned around for a lot of prices. One thing is for sure there was a vast difference in the prices quoted but make sure its 'like for like' and the mix is the same and dont underestimate how many people you still need to finish it as its delivered. Good luck!

9. Mr Kipling

Mr Kipling New Member

You'll also need 3 men and barrows as your time to offload is limited unless you allow them to tip it out in which case you'll have to shovel it to load your barrow. Plus a body to level and tamp it.

10. wardoss

wardoss New Member

Veryclever. That seems expensive for a C20 mix. Are you along way from the nearest plant? I would expect to pay low £60s per m3 prior to the looming increases.

11. ­

­ New Member

> Veryclever. That seems expensive for a C20 mix. Are
    you along way from the nearest plant? I would expect
    to pay low £60s per m3 prior to the looming increases.

The readymix plants vary from 5 to 10 miles from the sites. LaFarge and Hanson supply us, both have similar prices. This is before the Jan 1st 2007 price increase of about £6 pcm.