Really Basic Electrical Safety Tester for DIYer

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by stickgal, Nov 17, 2015.

1. stickgal

stickgal New Member

Ok, pls dont laugh at my Q, but TBH electricity terrifies me:

I stupidly bought an electrical neon screwdriver just to double check the power was totally off before starting to change my sockets/ light switch plates.
    Having taken SF forum advice, I have done the best thing with it: hit it with a hammer and in the bin!!

Question, whats the best tool to use for this purpose which is a bit more FFP and safer for a DIYer's occasional use? Is it a Multimeter or summit else? Is it a continuity tester, and how is it different to a multimeter?

I just want to make sure Im not another A&E visitor and would happily pay £20 for a tool thats competent (as competent as the user!!) but I really dont need a sparky, as its just changing a socket!!

Thank you in advance for replies, Im sure you guys will give me a simple answer, without being too harsh with me about the question....;)

Stick

2. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

I use a socket tester and a multi-meter. The socket tester is pretty safe but any multi-meter will involve stuffing probes into live parts of the light switch, which may or may not be something you want to do.

3. stickgal

stickgal New Member

4. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

An approved voltage indicator meeting the requirements of HSE guidance note GS38 is the only correct answer.

5. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

6. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Sorry Anha, we must have been typing at the same time.

Kind regards

7. stickgal

stickgal New Member

Thank you all. Better be safe and TBH, I think a neon screwdriver is about a safe as just holding the wire and hoping its off.

Thank you all...

8. DNR Plumbing

DNR Plumbing Active Member

Just switch off the main switch in your CU(Fuse Box) if you only do occasional work make sure everything is dead and safe

9. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Just to throw a spanner in the works. All the guys are correct the voltage tester above.

That is without a doubt the correct one for a sparks.

But that means you have to loosen the socket then put in correct terminals. Knowledge is needed.

A voltage pen I think is better! Logitech one I have. It beeps like mad giving you a warning ! Obviously test power is there to confirm its working then switch off.

Or someone else said a socket tester. More simple for the DIYer

10. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

The voltage pen is more versatile! For other jobs About £20

11. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

If electricity terrifies you with respect then it is best to leave it to the professionals. Why does it terrify you? Have you had electric shocks in the past?
    Most if not all professionals and DIY dabblers like myself will have had a few "belts" in their time, hopefully not many recently. This gives you, providing that you are still alive:eek:, a healthy respect for electricity. It is like being terrified of heights and going up a triple extension ladder. The fear might make you fall off. Just a cautionary post.:);)

12. stickgal

stickgal New Member

Ok Paul 'healthy respect' may have not over egged the custard: I concede
    It comes from an ex who insisted he hold on to a main grey wire to see if it was live: and learnt how to fly,
    'a clever person learns from his mistakes; a wise one from others' .
    It is only about fearing the worst, you are right, & I guess that does put me at risk of making a stupid error out of fear.
    Will look into the voltage pen as well as the proper voltage tester. TY all

13. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

As a fellow diy'er, I think the basic neon screwdriver is 'ok' for occasional domestic work. Usually hard to see if lit up in daylight, I've got one like this, much easier to see neon illuminated;

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Han...Tools/sd170/One+Contact+Voltage+Tester/p23890

With any tester though, you need to prove if its actually working in the first place and always good to test if circuit is dead by two separate means

I like this socket tester;

http://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-ms6860d-socket-tester/91596

Although will also show you incorrectly wired sockets, no lights on means no power

Easy to double prove socket is dead, especially if your so nervous;

Plug socket tester into known working socket, will light up hopefully showing correctly wired and power on
    Plug in say a table lamp to the socket that you wish to work on and switch on
    Switch off circuit at consumer unit, or pull fuse (if wired type)
    Table lamp will be off
    Double test with socket tester - no lights - no power

If your consumer unit is mcb type, you can go a stage further and also use a lockout device;

http://www.screwfix.com/p/brady-mini-circuit-breaker-lockout-system/7074f

Just be sensible, take your time, ensure circuit is dead and you will be fine
    ps. If swapping to metal face sockets\switches, ensure that the faceplate is earthed and sleeve the earth core (CPD)

14. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

[​IMG]Plug this in the socket and switch it on, you will hear music, turn off appropriate breaker and the music will stop. :)

tore81, Tiny01 and FatHands like this.
  15. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

What's the matter with my table lamp tester then chips ? :rolleyes: :)

16. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It doesn't play music so you can't hear when it is off :)

17. stickgal

stickgal New Member

Hm, Dave, yes they are metal faceplates and I have the appropriate 'fly / pig tail'. Luckily the lights are earthed on the ring so I can fit them. (yes, I did have a concern with doing it properly but would prefer to use the tail rather than a lug that only I know is there)
    Chippie, I which radio station do you think would be the most fit for purpose? Is there one on SF?:D

18. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I think your socket tester is the same as mine :)

19. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

One that plays a lot of "Sparks"