Refinishing Stairs but treds uneven colour

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Grace2PY, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Grace2PY

Grace2PY New Member

Hello all,

I've spent hours and hours stripping thick old paint off the stair treds and finally begun sanding a few steps but the treds have the worn darker area in the middle, perhaps where a runner used to be. Do I just continue sanding or will the wood never be an even Colour? I'm wanting to put a light stain on when finished for a natural look.

I'm using a MAC Allister sander (recommended by a B&Q worker, and am aware it's a B&Q brand). It's just taking too may hours to not get a good result! I've used various paint strippers, plastic scrapers, metal scrapers, blades, wire wool etc.. in that order as I started off wanting to be gentle but now I could just carpet the bloody lot it's taking so long.

Thanks very much!

Attached Files:

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Sadly, preparation is never quick,takes time to get good results.:)

Bleaching the middle of the tread might lighten it enough to match surrounding tread, where is Astramax our painter.

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I see a child safety gate so rather limits what I would recommend, try soaking the stained area with sugar soap this may help to lighten the colour I would use caustic soda myself as a whole lot stronger but not with children about. KIAB mentioned using wood bleach...worth a go but be sure to follow the instructions and keep little finger well out of the way! :)

Grace2PY likes this.
  4. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Vertical stairs can be dangerous..(as per pic).reset them to horizontal.
    I advise not stripping stuff back.(lead paint etc) you will never get good results.
    Most older properties used Pitch pine for most stuff and it was never meant to be bare...it was scumbled from new for a reason.
    Put carpet down.
    RS

5. GrahamTaylor

GrahamTaylor Active Member

I think that you need to adjust your expectations. Once it's all back to clean bare wood you should do whatever finish you have decided on and think of the colour
    variations as 'character' rather than 'problem'. That's one of the things I like about wood. It gets more interesting with a bit of wear and tear.

6. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Don't you fall off those stairs? How the hell do you walk up them?

7. Grace2PY

Grace2PY New Member

Thanks everyone, I'll try the bleach and sugar soap option.

8. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Variations in colour are all part of wood's natural beauty. A bit like stretch marks on people.