Regs on running / extending gas boiler flue in conservatory

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by sospan, Sep 29, 2016.

1. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I have just be asked to construct a lean-to extension to provide a accessible toilet. I suggested making it more like a porch / conservatory with the toilet in a solid section at on end.

At the moment the boiler (Vaillant) vents where I want to put the porch section. There is only one 90 degree bend which comes out of top of the boiler and then straight out through the wall. I guess subject to boiler flow, the pipe can be extended vertically or horizontally

Naturally I will get an engineer in to specify and fit a flue extension but in the meantime, I can't find a definite set of regulations which specify how flues can be run internally within a confined space. This will at least let me draw up some outline plans to take to planning and BC

2. TheMorg

TheMorg Active Member

You can run it horizontal/vertical, just make sure it's accessible for inspection (flues in voids). Find the boiler manual and it's pretty straight forward what you can do regarding flueing.

3. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

No, not quite, even I know there are rules on the max length horizontal, stand off from walls etc.

4. TheMorg

TheMorg Active Member

Perhaps I underestimated the scale is this lean to extension...

5. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

With a Vaillant you can have up to eight meters straight horizontal, this reduces if you add bends and does not include the flue turret.

6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Thanks, This is the location of the flue at the moment, couldn't be in a more awkward position for me. Ideally, would have tucked the roof under the drip edge but the vent is too close. The same with the right hand edge, if i put the wall between the door and flue, the flue will be too close to the wall /roof. So will probably have to extend it forward and then take it up through the roof.

The flue will be about approx 2100 mm above floor level, which will be tricky to hide within a roof space and would be "touchable" from inside. So is this permissible or does it have to be boxed in?

To add to the fun the house is in a high wind area and because this is the only accessible door, I will have to make a prefab off site and keep the access as clear as possible ....
    upload_2016-9-30_8-33-51.png

7. Dave does Gas

Wait untill your gas safe fitter gets to speak to you, its not easy to give the correct advice over the internet without seeeing the site first.
    All you will do otherwise is over worry about something that may not cause any issues.

8. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

No problem

Its a local authority house. The housing department engaged their normal contractor who wanted to fit something the equivalent of a slightly larger flat top portaloo, 3m x 2m and for the princely sum of £9,500+ With the tenant paying a significant part of it.

So I was asked to design and quote for something that would clearly be better suited and hopefully cheaper. So I have to draw up some designs to take to not only the tenant but housing, adult services, planning, building control. What I was trying to avoid is drawing the thing up and then falling foul of some BC / Gas regs on the positioning of the flue and have to redesign and repeat the round of visiting the various departments

9. Hi Sos.

I'm pretty sure there aren't any particular requirements to box in a flue inside a property - I've never seen this done on all the boilers I've seen installed; the flue pipe chust runs happily from the boiler until it disappears through the ceiling or wall.

As to how it can be directed oot the roof - the installation instructions for the make and model of boiler will show all the flue pipe permutations, and almost certainly this will include examples to show an upwards-diverting elbow with a suitable flue terminal as if the flue were coming through a 'normal' roof.

I can't see any issues. Assuming the flue pipe can pass through your 'connie' roof without issues?

Keep us posted with this one - it'll be nice to see what can be done here against the usual over-priced 'approved' contractor (equals a license to 'quote me stupid'). :)

10. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I have hunted round most of the sites but can't find anything. Since the flue will be technically touchable from inside the conservatory part, you would have thought there would be some sort of regulation.

It is a local authority house so the boiler instructions will have gone long ago and probably weren't left with the tenant

I saw a copy of what the council builder wanted to fit and it was awfull - minimum spec, block walls, pebble dashed one small window felted roof

11. Every house I have ever visited ever which has had a gas boiler, I could walk up to it and 'touch' the flue :)

In fact, I have chust done that myself to my own flue - touch touch touch, rub, stroke, touch...

(I haven't really. But I could if I wanted to... :D)

I chust don't see the issue at all at all - but why GasSafes haven't replied I dunno :(.

The only issue I can see to do with gas flues is the access plug for the gas sensor used during setting up and maintenance, but that is always (I think) on the first section of the flue as it comes out the boiler?

At the moment you have a normal horizontal flue terminal which a GasSafe will add to to take it up through t'roof and almost certainly terminate in a vertical thingy. Having a flue section inside the new extension - whether it can be touched or not - doesn't seem to me to be an issue. After all, it couldn't even be dismantled unless done so from either end - you cannot chust remove a central section without taking a saw to it...

What did the original (carpy) extension plans show for the flue routing?

If you get this job (fingers crossed for you), who will be your GasSafe? Can't you call him up now for a quick chat - or better still he pops over to the house for a quick look on t'way home?

12. Where is the boiler in relation to that flue terminal? Any potential for moving the flue closer to that external RH corner? If all it needs is a core drill, then it won;t be any more difficult that the flue extension and hole through your ceiling.

In fact it should be a lot cheaper - and neater.

13. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

I'd have to agree with DA on this one,those flue's can be fitted in several positions,rear,left or right,just core though the wall to the left hand side as you face the boiler,fit new flue and job done.

14. Dave does Gas

You cant just stick a flue out anywhere you like, there are clearances that have to be adhered to. The best thing the OP can do is get a Gas Safe to have a look and advise him from site, and not get a load of speculation from an internet forum, no matter how well intended, none of us can see what he intends to do.

15. Yeah - we need someone on here who does gas.

Any ideas, Dave?

Dave does Gas likes this.