Remove Outside Face of 9" Wall

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by benben5555, Apr 25, 2016.

1. benben5555

benben5555 Member

I've got a parapet wall above my garage doors and many of the bricks are frost damaged. I'd like to remove the outer face, leaving the inner face intact so I can just rebuild the outer face in new bricks.

How can I do this safely without dislodging the bricks on the inner face, loosening the mortar beds and generally making it unstable. I'm concerned that hammer blows on the outer face will dislodge bricks on the inner face at the same time.

I've got an SDS, 4.5" grinder and hammer/bolster.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  3. You will not be able to do that if it is 9" brickwork.
    If you cut off all the headers there will be nothing tying the brickwork together.
    Take it all down and rebuild in whatever bond it is at the moment.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

We need a photo please.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Valid point, all depends on the lintel used above garage door, & I just noticed I have dropped a clanger:oops::oops: brick width is 100mm, NOT 65mm, too early for me, need more coffee.:confused:

So, disregard my link for mortar rake.:oops:

6. benben5555

benben5555 Member

It's all laid in stretcher bond so there are no headers. Also near in mind it will only be a single skin for a short time, a new skin will be put up after

7. Bit of a bodge to start with then.
    What is tying the bricks together.

8. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

It should be straight forwards, just bear in mind it might have ties in it.

KIAB likes this.
  9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Or might not.

10. benben5555

benben5555 Member

It's ok for a 9" wall to be built stretcher bond isn't it? Must it have ties?

When I build the second skin back up should I drill some ties into the innner skin. I really don't want the whole parapet to come tumbling down onto my car

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Some photo's would give use a clearer picture of things.

12. benben5555

benben5555 Member

Ok, will post some later

13. benben5555

benben5555 Member

14. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Easy job, but for the sake of 6/7 courses on the front and 4/5 on the back, I'd take it all down and rebuild it, its not like the brick is an expensive one, just a LBC Heather.

KIAB likes this.
  15. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

...and add wall ties.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

KIAB likes this.
  16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Surprised there are no copings.

You will also need a acrow to support that roof truss by consumer unit, while you rebuild wall.

17. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Looks like that side might not need touching.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You might be right, but until you start removing the bricks you don't know you will find, the front course might not even be tied in.

longboat likes this.
  19. benben5555

benben5555 Member

I'd just removed the coping before I took the photos.

The front course isn't even on a lintel I've just found out, just built of the timber frame of the garage doors.

20. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Becoming a bigger job, I would look to fit a lintel over garage door, even consider a IG I beam to support the load, despite having the rsj supporting inside course.

EDIT: The soldier course over garage door are they a full size brick, have seen where they only use a half brick for the soldier course.