Removing concrete pond

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by sfrazi, Mar 23, 2015.

1. sfrazi

sfrazi New Member

Hi,

I am having problems in trying to remove a concrete pond that was built by the previous owners.

I have drained the pond using a water pump and drilled a number of holes at the bottom of the pond using a jack hammer. I thought this would have meant any remaining water would quickly drain away, instead the remaining water is still there. In some instances I have drilled at least 7 to 8 inches below the concrete and the water just ends up filling the hole I created.

Is this expected? I have little knowledge of landscaping so was hoping for some advice.

I want to completely get rid of the pond and blend it in with the rest of the lawn but am worried this area will get waterlogged without adequate drainage.

Thanks

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Is your subsoil clay?

3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

If you have a "Jack hammer" , your best bet is to completely remove the whole pond, a lot of work I'm sure, but better in the long run.

4. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

High water table?

5. Sfrazi, how big - and deep - is this pond?

Could be either of the situations suggested above - the soil under the pond simply doesn't drain very well, or else the actual water table is quite high where you are as Metro says.

For the latter, if you were to empty out the pond, don't be surprised if it starts to back-fill by itself a wee bit :)

Surely, in any event, best to remove completely? Is it really a big job?

6. sfrazi

sfrazi New Member

Thanks for the responses.

How would I know what the level is for the water table or if the subsoil is clay?

7. Both by digging a hole...

It's unlikely to be water table (unless the surrounding ground is soggy?), so more likely that it's an impervious soil/rock/shillet under your pond wot is preventing water drainage.

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Just possible the last owners laid a butyl liner or similar, & maybe a subase on top of liner first, before laiding concrete, seen it a few times basically if your concrete is carp, the pond will still hold water.
    Want to drive a long bar through bottom of pond down a couple of feet or so & see if that drains the water.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015