Removing loft window

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Hank, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Hank

Hank Member

Hi guys

I've got one of those small old fashioned windows in my loft - steel frame, single glazing. It looks in a bit of a state (draughty, though not leaking - yet) and it's pointless as far as I'm concerned as I don't need daylight in my loft.

What are the chances that this can be removed, blocked up and tiled over (roof has 'modern' concrete tiles), all from the inside...? Ideally I'd do it myself to save money and I don't have a ladder suitable for going up the roof. If I had to get someone in to do it from the outside, could it be done with a ladder rather than putting up scaffolding?

In case you're wondering, I'd like rid of it because a) it's draughty, b)it could start leaking in future, c) I don't want to pay to have it replaced, d) it will be easier without the window to insulate the loft

Thank a lot!

2. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Rather impossible to tile it from the inside of the roof. To take it out can probably be done from inside, but afterwards the hole has to be felted over, battened then tiled. All these jobs have to be done on the outside. ;);)

3. Hank

Hank Member

I kinda thought that would be the answer... not the one I was looking for obviously!!

4. Hank

Hank Member

Thanks though, John!