Removing /Repairing Trickle Vents In UPVC Windows

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Des Lavender, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Des Lavender

Des Lavender Member

Good afternoon. I have a couple a trickle vents that are stuck in the open position. I have undone the two screws on the inside but it doesn't want to budge. Do I also have to remove the screws on the outside? The window reveal is fully tiled and there isn't any clearance between the vent and the tiles - in case it has to be angled up for removal. I'd really like to be able to get them off so I can find out why that won't close and then do so.

Any thoughts please?

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Picture?

3. Des Lavender

Des Lavender Member

I'll give it a go once I get home - after 6.

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I'll be waiting ;)

5. Des Lavender

Des Lavender Member

Trickle Vent.jpeg

Mrs Des took this picture for me.

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

They look fairly similar to mine and mine pop off when you undo the 2 screws under the cover, perhaps silicon has been used too or perhaps it clips in as well.

7. Des Lavender

Des Lavender Member

I'll try to prise up one corner to test the silicon theory - it was the extra clips I was wondering about; rather reluctant to start breaking things in case anyone knew definitively.

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I wonder if some tile adhesive has squeezed out and stuck it.

9. Des Lavender

Des Lavender Member

Can't really see that myself but I'll see if I can get my scraper between it and the tiles.

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

They are very cheap to replace if it comes down to it, less than a fiver each.

11. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

You may find they are on 'keyhole' holes in the middle(ie screws are put in the frame before the vent is attached), then the outside screws are put in to secure. So once the outside screws are removed, push left or right to see if it is.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

12. Des Lavender

Des Lavender Member

Good morning. I spent some time with a sturdy scraper yesterday and it turns out that some numpty decided to no-nails the back of the top edge to the tiles - not immediately obvious. Normal for Norfilk, I guess!!

13. jimmy the enforcer

jimmy the enforcer New Member

That would be a FENSA fitter then.
    You can't sell your home without one :rolleyes:

14. jcg97

jcg97 New Member

Any chance I can get help finding a cover replacement for mine?
    Ive moved into a flat probably 2006 and the covers for some of the trickle vents are off but have looked far and wide for replacements but nothing. The measurements are - 37.5cm. Ive attached photos, help on where to get them would be much appreciated.

Attached Files: