Removing Silicone, looking for feedback for a new tool!

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Karl Dorn, Apr 24, 2024.

1. Karl Dorn

Karl Dorn New Member

I'm looking for some feedback on how you remove old silicone, before applying new. I'm working on a new tool that makes it a lot easier and leaves the background un damaged, and learning how the trade does it would help in the final design. Cheers

2. Mark DM

Mark DM Screwfix Select

There's a product out there called silicone eater. Not used it but may work. I use a craft knife, scraper and non scratch nylon pad myself. Th3n a clean off with meths or white spirit.

LearnMore and Karl Dorn like this.
  3. Karl Dorn

Karl Dorn New Member

How long do your methods normally take you Mark? Say to strip a complete bath.

4. Alan22

Alan22 Screwfix Select

I have a bucket of plastic gadgets that promised to miraculously remove silicone, one has half a dozen different plastic blades that are all equally just plastic blades in different shapes and sizes, they only really work with silicone remover gel.

Maybe just me but a more useful thing would be some sort of dye that you can spray on to show up all the bits you missed.

5. Mark DM

Mark DM Screwfix Select

If its straightforward then around an hour.. if its been plastered with sealant maybe 2hrs.

6. Karl Dorn

Karl Dorn New Member

This is the same sort of feedback I've been getting Alan.

I have a little teaser of what my new idea can do on
    https://www.linkedin.com/posts/karl...s-?utm_source=share&utm_medium=member_android

I hope I'm allowed to show it on here?

LearnMore likes this.
  7. Karl Dorn

Karl Dorn New Member

That's far too long to remove silicone, don't you think Mark? Tests I've been doing get the vast majority of silicone removed in minutes!

8. Mark DM

Mark DM Screwfix Select

All depends on condition.. maybe you've answered your own question

LearnMore and Karl Dorn like this.
  9. Alan22

Alan22 Screwfix Select

I don't think the vid compromises your intellectual property rights, because you can't see anything:)

The problem as I see it is the bead you are removing is always going to be as inconsistent as the person that did the bead, a good thick bead can be easy, a bead that has been cleaned off badly can leave a thin smear that is a real pain, from what I can see in the vid yours cuts with an internal or inward facing blade like the diamond shaped ones with the hole in the middle, or something along those lines, for me this is the quick bit, the tiny bits left over are where the remover gel and scrubbing comes in, and this is the time consuming part, I don't know a tool that both cuts the beading and catches all the smear or small bits.

chillimonster and Karl Dorn like this.
  10. Karl Dorn

Karl Dorn New Member

Testing the prototype tool shows it removes even the smallest of bead, and one of those video clips the background is plastic panel. I understand your point regarding the left over bits, but the great thing about the tool, is that you can go back and re do those parts as many times as you like without the fear of damaging your backgrounds. All comments help me to improve the final version, so thanks for yours Alan

Jaimie Hammond, LearnMore and Alan22 like this.
  11. chillimonster

chillimonster Screwfix Select

I always allow 2 hours for baths and that's if the tap deck hasn't been shoehorned
    up against the wall then drowned in sealant.
    The gels are ok if the two surfaces are smooth but gets uphill struggle if between
    eg new uPVC door and rough bricks .
    Favoured tools are old paint roller handle bent into hook and sharpened to a point,
    Stanley blade holder, and lately a Toughbuilt utility knife.
    Bath done in minutes ????
    Includes putting on Hazmat ?

12. LearnMore

LearnMore Well-Known Member

All I could see in the video was dried bits being removed. Not the tool in question or how to use it. I’ve seen a lot of fads in the industry, often expensive and don’t work, so good luck to you if it works. I tried the gel once, absolute garbage. I use a combination of a Stanley knife, loose blade (rare), sometimes a flat blades screwdriver and a wood chisel - get the best results with these tools. Yes can be time consuming, but I work in social housing, so doesn’t matter too much about the time taken.

If it’s proven to work, and not overly expensive, then I may consider one.

13. chillimonster

chillimonster Screwfix Select

.....doesn't matter too much about the time taken :eek:

I work in private rental..

14. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Diy me so not re-siliconed 100s of baths / sinks / worktops / but a fair few over the years, both my house and family members

Time isn’t money for me but, no point in taking longer than necessary for any job undertaken as always other stuff to do, whilst sandwiched in-between full time job and leisure time

Snap off blade craft knife works for me to remove the bulk of the sili, yeah sure, if you slip with blade, your gonna damage surface, so obvs best not to slip !!!

Folowed by an application of SF No Nonsense silicone remover - tried other brands but this one really does work and at a fair price

It’s not going to dissolve the main bead of sili - that’s not what it’s for, so hence remove bulk with knife. Great though for removing sili residue and thin papery bits of sili, it just lifts from surfaces and can be scraped away with a plastic tool / old credit card / etc. maybe a 2nd application of sili remover needed but no big deal

Followed by hot soapy water and green pad / nylon dish scourer to remove remaining sili and the gungy stuff that’s left behind

Allow to dry and then final clean wit lint free cloth and meths - squeaky clean and ready for new sili application

Have got a few sili removal tools that I’ve bought to try out but found no better than
    above method and/or simply don’t work as advertised

Always new tools coming onto the market for both the diy’er and pro, some will
    break through and be accepted and result in sales. Many will unfortunately fall by the wayside and become obsolete and not gain market approval - it’s a tough sector to break into and never ending competition to compete with

Good luck however in your endeavours

LearnMore likes this.