Removing tile from plasterboard wall

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Don63, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Don63

Don63 Member

I've just finished tiling our bathroom which was my first attempt at tiling with large format tiles. Overall I'm very pleased with the job, however there are two tiles that aren't quite level with the adjacent tiles - I think the technical term is lippage! I know that my eye will always be drawn to these tiles because I know of the imperfection and I'll forever be kicking myself.

The tiles in question are on a plasterboard wall - my question is whether it is possible to remove the two tiles without damaging the plasterboard? I'm guessing that removing them could do more damage which would be hard to repair - so I'm better living with it than making things worse.

Don

2. You are right - it'll almost certainly pull away the paper layer at least, and possibly a fair bit of the actual plaster too.

I'm guessing you haven't grouted it yet? When did you actual tile it - was it yesterday, for example; could the adhesive still be largely 'soft'?

What type of adhesive did you use - was it 'ready-mixed' stuff?

If you damage the p'board, it can be fixed but this will be a real chore, and the damage may go beyond just the tile you've removed.

Not sure on the best thing to do - I think I'd try using a scraper (or other thin, wide, strong blade) and choose a grout line and lever away. Place a cloth on the adjacent tile in case it gets scratched. When levering, don't 'yank' at it - just apply steady pressure, building up the force in stages. Give it a good 30 seconds at each pressure level. It it will come away like this, it'll be a 'peeling' action rather than a 'pop' I suspect, as the adhesive gives way along the back.

If you have plenty of spare tiles, then you could be bold and simply break up the one you want removed - use a centre punch or chisel and give it a few blows near an edge. Break it up and remove the pieces.

The very best idea, tho', is to wait for a professional to come on and give advice... :oops:

3. Don63

Don63 Member

Thanks DA. It's not grouted yet but the tiles in question were fixed a few days ago. The two tiles that I don't like are from the first couple of rows that I did, when I hadn't quite got into the swing of things. The tiles are 30x60 porcelain ones with a 2mm spacing gap and fixed with flexible rapid set adhesive that I mixed by hand.

They're pretty well set in, so I don't believe I'll be able to lever them off (and would likely damage the tile I was levering against). My thought was like you said to use a hammer and chisel to break the tile up and remove in pieces - but I'm concerned that I'll do more damage than good and that a good junk of plasterboard would be removed with the tile.

Don

4. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

unless the lippage is really bad, grout it in, forget about it. Nobody else will really notice.

5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Is it dot and dab plasterboard or stud wall? If its the latter, then I would cut around them with a multi tool or similar and remove the tile and PB in one piece as at least you'll minimise damage to adjacent tiles. Glue battens back in, screw PB in then retile. If dot and dab, then I'd take a similar approach, except that you'll then have to carefully smash the tile and make good what's behind. Either way, don't be tempted to lever off adjacent tiles as you'll prob chip the edges. As Mr Rusty said, prob not that noticeable when grouted and large format tiles are notorious for being warped anyway.