Removing wallpaper from plasterboard.

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by smart deco, Mar 8, 2009.

1. smart deco

smart deco New Member

I have a customer who wants an internal plasterboard wall stripped and rewallpapered. What is the best way to remove the wallpaper (non vinyl) without damaging the paper of the plasterboard?

2. Mr GrimNasty

Mr GrimNasty Active Member

Can't you just paper over the top, over some suitable gauge lining paper if you're worried about a bold pattern peeking through?

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Just thoroughly wet it as per normal and scrape with a wide scraper, or such as a plasterer's trowel.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

4. Mr GrimNasty

^ Don't even bother trying.

5. Mr. Handyandy

^^Don't be such a wuss!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

6. Mr GrimNasty

^^^ Mush & divets.

7. nigel

nigel Guest

It will need skimming as any attempt to remove will cause damage to underlying plasterboard finish.

8. Mr. Handyandy

^^Not if you know what you're doing.

***. Keep it wet, scrape with a wide scraper in a dragging way, not a pushing way, and the plasterboard can be virtually untouched.

Of course, it takes a lot of common sense as to how wet it is made and how to scrape, but it can(AND HAS) been done.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

9. Mr GrimNasty

What a load of rubbish, you can do anything if time/cost doesn't matter, but no decent pro would bother trying.

10. I'm refurbishing a property at the moment, (plasterboard walls) full skim starts on Monday. The walls had been previously stripped by the occupier.

11. Mr. Handyandy

I'm refurbishing a property at the moment, (plasterboard walls) full skim starts on Monday. The walls had been previously stripped by the occupier.

Don't worry about it. I take a garden spade to tiled walls(and floors). No damage, no problem, quick as a flash.

They don't make better tools for the job.

Ya don't gouge the walls when plastering with a trowel, and you can scrape plasterboard the same way.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

12. Mr GrimNasty

Hey way don't you give a link to a these giving the theoretical optimum angle .......

Good God you do post some junk.

Feel free to have the last word if you can't be the bigger man, I'm done on this one - really.

13. Mr GrimNasty

thesis ***

14. pep

pep Member

Having worked in plasterboard production for 14 years, i can tell you that trying to remove wallpaper from virgin plasterboard will wreck it, as getting it wet destroys the bond between paper/gypsum. If its been painted/sealed before it was papered then removing it is not a problem.

15. Mr. Handyandy

Skills out of a book. Pah! I pis on them.

Go on then. Stand in front of some fresh plasterboard, chuck a wet sponge at it, and watch that plasterboard lose it's paper.

Come back and let me know when the paper has fallen off.
    You'll be gone a while.

I'll tell you what! Run a plasterer's trowel down that wet patch as if you were plastering(or even taking wet plaster OFF).

Is that plasterboard falling to pieces ?

NO.

Skills ? Pah!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

16. pep

pep Member

Haha , I didn't say the paper would fall off, but your advising to get it nice and wet. obviously the paper wont fall off but you risk getting blisters on the surface of the board and the strength of the gypsum in the board will crumble, try hanging a shelf on a sheet of board you have got nice and wet.....it wont stay there long.

17. Mr. Handyandy

Who said anything about getting the plasterboard nice and wet ?

Not me.

For wallpaper removal, it's the wallpaper and the paste that stuck it there that needs to be wet.

And after all, when the wallpaper was hung, the paste was wet then, wasn't it ? It didn't destroy the plasterboard at all.

So making it wet again won't.

You certainly CAN scrape wet wallpaper(with the right tool) from bare plasterboard. Yeah, you gotta be careful, but so what ?

It's easier than reboarding, or trying to overlay profiled wallpaper.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

18. Oi, Andy If you can <u>Really</u> remove wallpaper from plasterboard that's not been sealed without damage, we should go into business for ourselves... we'll open a joint bank account, you put it in,

and I'll take it out.

19. pep

pep Member

Quote :
    Just thoroughly wet it as per normal and scrape with a wide scraper, or such as a plasterer's trowel.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really.

i bow down to your greatness Andy, you are obviously infinitely more knowledgeable about the make up of plasterboard than someone who spent 14 years making it !
    Ill ring lafarge up on monday and tell them that the dampening of board that has been through the final drying process does not have any detrimental effect to the bond of the paper and gypsum strength.