Renovating the bathroom

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by aaronsylvester, Oct 22, 2014.

1. aaronsylvester

aaronsylvester New Member

Hi guys, I've now decided to remove the mold and dodgy grout in my bathroom.

Can anyone tell me the most efficient way to remove the mold and fix the future problem, as well as removing the grout. I'm capable of reapplying it, but the stuff feels like its glued down!

Thanks amateur diy-er

Attached Files:

2. Tapbros Property

Tapbros Property New Member

You need to apply 2 coats of stain blocker and then apply 2 coats of BATHROOM paint - As its mold resistant and moisture resistant.

The silicone you need to use a stanly blade and a silicone remover or scraper and remove all the silicone and RE SEAL.

Also have you got an extractor fan?
    If not.... Then I highly recommend you do as this is all moisture build up.

3. Hi Aaron.

By 'grout' I'm guessing you mean the bead of silicone that runs along the bottom of the tiles and seals it to the tray? Ie - the really manky bit in your photo :).

In which case there are solvents that'll remove it - 'silicone remover'. However, it'll help to remove as much as you can before you use this stuff, and for that the simplest way is to use a craft knife - one of these with slidy-out snap-off blades.

If you extend the blade a good 1 - 2" and use the tray top surface as your guide, run it along there nice and flat so's the blade edge doesn't stick into the akshul tray, and the blade tip cuts a neat straight line into the sili.

Repeat by running the blade along the tile surface. By the time you've done this you should have removed an 'L'-profiled strip of sili.

Then get yer solvent oot.

Use really good quality stuff when redoing the job. With built-in mould resistance.