Repair to Gulley pot

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by FatHands, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

A 100mm thickness path is fine, min being 75mm. I would say keep 1:3 on mix.

2. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Excellent, thanks. 100mm it is :)

3. FatHands

Evening,

Got the pot all cemented in over the weekend and finished the waste route.  Not sure what we are going to do with the path/driveway in the future (nothing for now).

Is it OK to leave it as it is? I mean, there is no harm if rainwater goes down there? Was going to point it up a bit when the next mix goes on.

Thanks for all the continued help.

Fats

[​IMG]

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Any reason why you didn't bring the drain up to just above ground?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

5. FatHands

Hi HA,

That's what i was trying to achieve although when i dug the old one out of the ground the pot and pipe was resting on was solid bricks and therefore the angle was set.  I could have changed this easily i guess by adding a rubber boot (or bit of pipe on top of the clay > plastic adapter) and raising it up although then it would have been that much nearer the surface of the path so i thought it would be best to put it back how it was laid out.

Any suggestions what to do, or just leave it as it is? I was planning on pointing it up a bit.

Cheers for all your help.

Fats

6. Mr. Handyandy

Personally, I'd add one of these if suitable, and have the square section above ground, fill around under it to ground level with sharp sand and cement mix.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

8. Mr. Handyandy

The one in your link is 110mm. I don't see how that works(an nowhere for the drain cover/grid).

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

9. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

The outlet on the trap is 110mm, The grid section diameter is bigger so a 110mm wont wont, so you have to use the riser.
    [​IMG]

Although the picture shows a BIG being used, there is no differecne between this and a bottle gully other that having an extra inlet. The BIG supplied by SF has a rectangular hopper as opposed to the circular one, but both are interchangeabe.

10. FatHands

Morning,

Thanks for the posts chaps.

The description for the link Jitender has provided is listed as being able to rise the bottle gully i have (which is this one)

Considering we won't be doing anything with the path/driveway (if anything) for at least this year and possibly next; would it be a good idea to get the gully the same level as the path?

Just for reference there are two other gullys pots (for rain water) which have the same recess as the one i have fitted in the photo's.

I guess the most obvious reason is to keep water away from the exterior wall of the house. Would it be a good idea to raise the gully and then make a "C" shape around it with brick/stone trim for this?

Thanks

Fats

11. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

leave it as it is - if you've got plans to do something to the path within a year or so what's the point of making it look good enough just to keep the where's Wally types happy, only to be wrecking your work some time down the road when you get round to sorting the entire path

12. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

It looks like your garden slopes away from house? paving should be installed so there is a fall away to protect the foundations of the house. It the paving/garden falls towards the house/gully - I would be inclined to leave as is - check using a spirit level. And then just point around.

Its just surprising that this gully pot originally collected surface water and is connected to the foul system?

I dont see any problems - the waste is going directly into the trap. If you are worried about debris getting into the trap you can always put a cover over it.

13. FatHands

Hi,

The gardens do slope away from the house.  Will leave it as it is and just point.

no, this is the only gully pot connected to the foul waste - thats the problem and the reason for such a long waste run. I was just enquiring if its OK to leave open so to speak which would allow rain water in.

Thanks for all your help.

Regards,

Fats

14. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

That will be fine. I think it's when you start putting the foul down the rainwater when it becomes a problem.

Anyways it been quite an intresting thread. Maybe when they were building the house they were planning to have the kitchen at front of house.

15. FatHands

Yep, apparently the coucil got the plans the wrong way around. Just as well as its the reason we have a nice big garden!

Cheers

Fats