Repairing clear plastic corrugated roofing

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by mike-tw, Aug 18, 2014.

1. mike-tw

mike-tw New Member

My clear plastic corrugated roof has a couple of holes in it. Access from above is impossible without scaffolding.
    The holes are irregular shape in the valleys of the corrugations. Longest about 2 inches.
    I have an idea about how to repair them - using cling film and either silicon sealant or araldite.
    Any better ideas?
    If not which should be better silicon or araldite?

mike

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

cling film??? really, please explain.

3. mike-tw

mike-tw New Member

cling film to hold the messy stuff in place while it sets - a poultice

4. Phil the Paver

If you can't access from above how is the cling film going to work, are you thinking of putting whatever on the cling film and then pushing it up in to place??, if so forget it it's never going to work.

Just bite the bullet and replace with proper triple wall sheeting at best or just some more corrugated to suit.

5. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

you could perhaps have better luck using a small section of identical roofing, cut as a patch and adhered using clear silicone from below - held in place with a pole/prop/broom handle till it has gone off - if you put enough goo on, and hold it in place with enough force you should find the goo extrudes through the aperture, sealing your orifice

H3xc0d3 likes this.
  6. Phil the Paver

The problem with that though Sean, is surely it will heighten the problem, if as the OP says, it's immpossible to access from above, what ever protrudes though the aperture will be sticking up, trapping any water running towards it.
    I think in this instance a bodge job is out of the question and a proper repair is the only right way to go about it.;)

7. mike-tw

mike-tw New Member

A "proper" repair means replacing about 10/12 sq metres of roofing, sealing the edges to the surrounding roof using scaffolding and roofing ladders,. with risk of damage to surrounding roof. I don't think so.

I'll give it a go with the silicon, which will be easier to remove if necessary, then try the araldite if the silicon fails.

I had wondered about an "umbrella" patch inserted through the hole, opened and then clamped down from below, but I don't know what I could use for this.

Mike