Replace gas cooker bayonet myself?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by therourke, Aug 19, 2014.

1. therourke

therourke New Member

Hello. I have done some reading around about replacing a gas hob bayonet myself, but still confused. If someone could clarify I'd be really grateful.

I have lived in this house for 5 years. The whole time we have used the same cooker with a gas hob. I now want to move that same cooker about 50cm along the kitchen wall. To do this I need a longer gas pipe fitted. The one currently fitted is around 85cm long, with about 15/20 cm of that as slack.

Can I buy myself a 125/150cm long hose and replace the bayonet myself? Or do I - according to law - need to spend the call out fee on a professional who will take less than 30 seconds to do the job?

Thanks

2. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Gas regulations now prevent the use of bayonet connections. You need to get a Gassafe registered engineer to carry out the work.

Kind regards

BS

3. ...but that doesn't mean you cannot still do it.

But that doesn't mean you should.

4. itchyspanner

itchyspanner Member

you need a competent person and your appliances instructions to reposition the wall plate to the manufacturers instructions.

the hose must form a u shape, not touch the floor, touch any hot surfaces, be under strain etc...... best to position it as the instructions require.

5. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

So,, why do manufacturers still produce gas cookers which require a flexible fitting between the cooker and the gas supply?????

6. itchyspanner

itchyspanner Member

flexible hoses are fine and the standard way of installing a free standing cooking appliance.

7. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

I had the same problem, as I needed to move our cooker. I used to work on industrial gas systems, including hydrogen at 240Bar, so I have a vague idea what I am doing ;), but I still employed a Gas safe fitter to make the connection, as I am not qualified to work on domestic gas. I suggest that you do the same to avoid any future problems.

8. therourke

therourke New Member

Thanks everyone. I am now convinced an engineer is the best idea. Well worth the peace of mind.

9. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

I think the term 'engineer' needs a bit of adjustment, I'm known as a ****in' plumber ,:oops:

10. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

:D

11. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

Hello ****in plumber!! How's Peter Parker doing?:)

12. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

strange you should ask that PB, he's learning me a lot, since moving into the greenhouse people have asked me, " Tom are you learning karate", i say why do you ask that? " well when you enter the greenhouse you flail your hands about like you're doing a karate movements, " but unbeknown to them peter makes a web every night across the door and its just be getting the web outta my face,
    he also learns me that the cyberspace is a trap, he uses a web to catch things as in W.W.Web, fishermen use nets to catch things as in interNET, so beware peoples, its never as good as the coffee smells, ;)

13. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

Ha Ha!!Tom I think you should ask the missus for a spiderman outfit.:)Now what was this thread about.:oops:

14. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Incorrect, a flexible hose can be used on a gas hob provided it is not exposed to either mechanical or heat damage.
    Having said that it is best practice to rigid fix a gas hob.

15. Hi Dave, that's interesting as it was my understanding that it was mandatory to rigid fit a gas hob and had been for some time. Could you clarify please.

16. itchyspanner

itchyspanner Member

if the hobs manufacturers instructions allow a hose then its fine. You can only use a hose tho if its fitted to meet the requirements for such a hose. So it must hang in a u shape,hanging freely, not under strain, not exposed to high temps (touch temps above 70) and so on.

so if there is an oven under the hob then you cant meet the requirements for a hose.