Replacement boiler..

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by SNAFINCH, Oct 6, 2015.

1. plumber-boy

plumber-boy Well-Known Member

Wake me up when this is over.:D Skeleton-computer.jpg

CGN, KIAB and Dave does Gas like this.
  2. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Pete only one thing I can say to that.
    You have hit the nail on the head, well done my friend.

3. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

Intergas stated they have changed no Heat X's. Beware of installers who recommend makes vehemently.

4. Dave does Gas

So says Mr Intergas :rolleyes: Only he's not an installer :eek:

5. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Just had a Vaillant ecotec Pro28 fitted a month ago. Nice to hear someone extolling the virtues of Vaillant. ;);)

leaky Pete the plumber and KIAB like this.
  6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Excellent choice JJ.:)

7. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

So he is not on a cut.

8. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

I am currently deciding between a system boiler 24kW - glow worm for £800 or vaillant for £1100
    help!

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

One word - VALLIANT.:)

10. Dave does Gas

Both made by the same company, Glowworms are a decent boiler and have similar parts and layout but are the cheaper version and just dont have the final finish of a vaillant

11. Valiant, like Dave said they are made by the same company but then again so is the Audi Quattro and the Skoda Octavia.

KIAB likes this.
  12. Dave does Gas

Neither are manufacturers registered installers, we have the benifit of adding additional warranty to our clients, plus a fast track access to technical support and engineer call outs. Not as you seem to be insinuating a backhander in a brown envelope. Most manufacturers of any worth offer a scheme to installers including Baxi/Potterton, Ideal, Worcester, Glowworm and of course Vaillant. Im signed up with three of the above and have attended numerous training days which probably puts my knowledge level of their products above an installer that hasnt bothered.

KIAB and steverod like this.
  13. steverod

steverod New Member

Damn that spell check

14. plumber-boy

plumber-boy Well-Known Member

If you go for Intergas make sure you have their number in your friends and family list.:D boilershutterstock_85091731.jpg

steverod likes this.
  15. I'm signed up to valiant and baxi, will always recommend valiant as they are superior, if people want to spend less money then I believe baxi is a good choice. The next idiot which ****** me off is going to get an Intergas boiler. For the record their guarantee only covers the heat exchanger for leaks, not blockages.

Which would be the same as any other manufacturer not giving a guarantee for the plate to plate even if it was correctly fitted.

steverod likes this.
  16. Hmm, do you think any manufacturer will cover a blocked exchanger? What causes blockages? Yep, sludge. And you'd expect Vaillant, for example, to say "Yep, no problem, sir, we'll give you a new exchanger even tho' your system is full of carp..."?

17. Yes but valiant insist on a water sample for there extended guarantee, Intergas make no mention of this they just promote a ten year guarantee and in the small print it mentions the heat exchanger is only guaranteed against leaks, I think this is a "biggie" when the main or duplex heat exchanger also does your hot water,

Do you not agree?

If a plate to plate fails it's a cheapest fix, if the main heat exchanger goes down it's generally good night to the appliance. A blocked or partially blocked main heat exchanger will take a lot longer to notice on heating than it ever will on hot water.

18. I agree it is a 'biggie'.

I'm just wondering what can cause a main exchanger to block? The only things I can think of are from external issues not to do with the actual boiler - sludge and stuff.

So why would any manufacturer's warranty cover this?

19. Poor installation is probably the biggest cause however with open vented systems leaks often go undetected air gets dragged in which causes corrosion and then sludge. I flush all my boile changes but sadly I think that is pretty rare.

20. Fair point, but would most manufacturers cover an issue that has nothing to do with the actual boiler?