Replacement door

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Dutchie, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Dutchie

Dutchie New Member

Afternoon all....Ive had a couple of different companies come out to quote for the following job. Just wondering if you guys could give a ball park figure just so I know if their quotes are about right when I receive them. I know its impossible to give an exact price, but just a rough number would be very helpful.

Remove UPVC door, frame and side panel (how much would this cost by itself?)
    Supply and fit hardwood door frame and two side panels (I've got a rough price on the glass panels)
    Fit door furniture...letterbox, yale lock and mortice lock

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

2. R.W_Carpentry

R.W_Carpentry Active Member

Hardwood is a bit vague , are you specifying a particular wood ?
    Very roughly I would be thinking something around £300-400 for labour and an oak frame without the cost of glazing .

3. Dutchie

Dutchie New Member

Thanks for the reply. I didn't specify any particular hardwood. Accoya has also been mentioned but not sure if that's more expensive than a hardwood.

4. acdg installations

acdg installations New Member

removal of an existing pvc door/frame and side panel should be of minimal cost this would take no more than a couple of hours for any experienced fitter, they can take longer depending on the current installation method to minimalise damage if installed on brackets from new build/rendered in etc also if you wanted to reuse them once removed.
    Personally just for removal of the existing door/casing and sidelight you could get this done for as little as £40-£50 its basic for any installer like myself.

5. Dutchie

Dutchie New Member

Thanks for info.

Would you say fitting a timber door frame, side panels and door is something that a fairly competent DIY'er could tackle? Between me and my father-in-law we've done a lot over the years with good results so I'm thinking this is something we could achieve. We replaced an ageing set of sliding patio doors with a new set of upvc french doors back in the summer which was pretty straight forward.

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Knocking out a door frame is easy, putting in a new one nicely is the trickier bit.

7. R.W_Carpentry

R.W_Carpentry Active Member

Do you know whether you're able to use an off the shelf frame for the opening? If you can then perhaps not too big a job for a diyer, if it needs to be built from scratch, then you could still do it but the finish look may be compromised.
    The main thing to think about is whether you think you're able to get the old frame out, new one in and door hung in a day.
    If you've not hung an internal door before I'd probably suggest leaving it to a pro, an external door could be a costly way to learn.
    Regardless, as chippie says, doing it yourself is one thing, getting it in nicely and the door hung with nice reveals, the letterbox and furniture on neatly and straight etc is another thing.

8. Dutchie

Dutchie New Member

Thanks gents.

This is the sort of thing I've been looking at as it would fit the opening http://www.directdoors.com/frames/external-universal-oak-door-frame-shown-twin-side-/

I've hung a good few internal doors over the years so I feel ok about that part of the project. I've a replaced a few front doors too over the years which turned out nice but nothing as major as what I'm looking at here. I'm going to give it a bit of thought before rushing in. Any tips/suggestions to bear in mind if I do tackle this?

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Make very sure you measure well and don't forget that once you start you can't stop.
    Once you take out the old door and frame your house isn't secure until until the new frame, door, locks and handles are fitted, there is no going back, changing your mind or sloping off for a beer.

10. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I think I used direct doors a few years back. I orderd a doorset the frame was made to order and they had the door fitted with all the hinges, letter box etc., also it had multi point locking. It all came in wooden box - 2 man lift. When it was delivered i had to carry it in all by myself. It had euro profile cylinder,but because it was a main door i had to purchase a thumbturn - wasnt specified so was given a key operated one.

I have had to adust the door a few times, it started sticking the next day. Could only plane off from hinge side due to multipoint lock.

11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

And your point is?