Replacing 22mm Gate valve

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by SteveEDUP, Jun 5, 2008.

1. SteveEDUP

SteveEDUP New Member

Hi,

I would like to replace a 22mm gate valve under my hot water tank that has ceased up.

I have bought a 22mm Pegler valve from Screwfix which has exactly the same length (compression nut to compression nut face) as the existing valve.

Do I need to remove the olives of the old ceased up valve or can I just leave the existing compression nuts and olives in place and just slot in the new valve?
    Also I have read conflicting views on PTFE tape etc on compression fittings. I had planned to just fit the valve "as is" with no tape or jointing compound...is this correct?

Cheers

Steve

2. jesusofsurburbia

jesusofsurburbia New Member

Hi steve,

If the only problem is a siezed valve then yes you should be able to use the existing olives.

With regards pte tape / jointing compound. Yes this can be used but you wrap tape/apply jointing compound to the OLIVE not the threads and as you will beusing the existing nuts & olives then I recommend using either one of them.

Rico

3. wetneck

wetneck New Member

Also check that the new valve housing si same depth as existing otherwise you could have a problem using existing olives;)

4. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

ceased ?

S E I Z E D !

5. SteveEDUP

SteveEDUP New Member

Thanks to both of you for the sound advice.

I hadn't thought about the housing depth so I may end up having to remove the olives(read post on this forum about hacksaw and screwdriver method to do this).

If my past experiences with plumbing are anything to go by then I can guarantee that this seemingly small job will end up involving about 3 trips to the plumbers merchants and taking 10 times longer than expected!!!

Cheers

Steve

6. tgs

tgs New Member

I have bought a 22mm Pegler valve from Screwfix which has exactly the same length (compression nut to compression nut face) as the existing valve.

Do I need to remove the olives of the old ceased up valve or can I just leave the existing compression nuts and olives in place and just slot in the new valve?

There is one proviso to this and that is if the valve and pipework is very old it may be imperial. If this is the case the old nuts won't fit on the new valve and you will to use the new nuts with 3/4" olives. (B&Q do them)

If the old valve says 22(mm) on it somewhere then fine, it will swap over. If 22 isn't there and the old nuts are thicker than the new ones and the sides of the nuts are all square with no curved bit at one end then the chances are they are imperial.

7. SteveEDUP

SteveEDUP New Member

I stand corrected!

The valve's seizure caused it to cease working

8. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

Often the gate valve spindle snaps and the gate stays shut. It would be better to replace it with a full bore 1/4tr turn valve but you have bought your new gate valve ( which will seize again one day ) now so just carry on.

9. SteveEDUP

SteveEDUP New Member

Yes I got caught out by the metric to imerial on my last plumbing attempt (hence the trips to the plumbers merchants)

This time I checked carefully and the old S E I Z E D !
    valve definately has 22mm on the comprssion nut.

However the old valve nut has BS864-2 standard stamped on it whereas the new valve is made to BS5154.

Does anyone know if the threads on these 2 standards are the same? I will be fitting the new valve a the weekend when I go to Wales so its not easy to check right now.

Steve

10. tgs

tgs New Member

I have never found an old 22mm thread that is not compatible with new. Without looking it up the difference in BS number may be that the new one is slightly different material to resist de-zincification.

11. bentbolt

bentbolt New Member

Usually the threads are the same but not always. look at them closely and try fitting the new nuts to the old valve as well as the new valve to the old nuts as sometimes the old nuts fit loosely to a new valve. if there is any doubt fit the complete new valve.
    pete

12. rome60

rome60 New Member

Just a suggestion seeing as you are Diyer,you know it is 22mm so buy a 22mm compression slip socket cut out the valve completly.Fit new valve,fit slip socket job done.;)

13. kimble

kimble New Member

From the op's first post to the last an hour elapsed and he's moaning about wasting time running back and forth.
    Forget the toolbox talk and fit the valve already ***.

14. SteveEDUP

SteveEDUP New Member

Haven't moaned about anything...
    I would have fit the valve already only its 200 miles away in Wales...just trying to anticipate potential problems!

15. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

Haven't moaned about anything...
    I would have fit the valve already only its 200 miles
    away in Wales...just trying to anticipate potential
    problems!

Is your Welsh property in the Swansea valley?
    PTP

16. titch2411172

titch2411172 New Member

*** ...if a cc,cc,,wdecc,bbcccrtcc ask 's us a question we give them 3 page of abuse 1st ! some diy'er ask a stupid qeustion and it goes down the route of slip couplers jesus fella's get a grip...

IF ITS SIEZED GET A PLUMBER!

17. Mr. Bodgett

Mr. Bodgett New Member

I've just got caught with this. I wanted to replace a stopcock which just about works but needs a lot of strength to shut fully, the main problem being the stopcock is hidden behind a shower. I had previously made an extension tool to make the valve accessible but as it is obviously unreliable and unsuitable for anyone without a lot of brute strength to use I decided to bypass it with a new fullbore ballvalve in a more accessible location. After a lot of grief I finally had one connection left to join my new plumbing up with the old system using a 22mm compression union which I could just about reach. The nightmare began when I found that the thread on the union (marked BS864-2 ) has a much finer thread than the standard fittings that we use these days. I can't reach the other end of the union and if I try and back it off with a box spanner there is a danger of backing off something further down the line which is out of reach. Having had to totally disassemble everything I am going to have to use the original nut off the union and hope that it works with a modern (copper) olive as the original olive is no longer usable.