Replacing a ceiling pendant

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Martin.Stone, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Martin.Stone

Martin.Stone Member

Hi guys
    Can I replace this with a standard ceiling pendant?
    If so what wires shall I use?

Martin

Attached Files:

2. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

Yes, but why do you want to? Standard ceiling rose has the wires to lamp on outside the one you show has wires to inside, I have in one room swapped to the type you show, reason is the pendent is heavy so it allows me to wire it all then simply plug in, can't see why once that has been done, you would want to return to old type.

3. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Beware of the switch drop. It looks like a three core, blue being used for pendent, yellow to switch a second light or wall lights? You can replace with a new pendent, but if it's only due to the dirty grungy old one, bug a replacement Crabtree one and it will plug straight in :)

4. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Martin, great you have a record of what it is now, we can work from that and refer back to it. I would suggest you tackle it as follows.
    Isolate the supply and test for dead.
    Disconnect the yellow and red in the connector, mark them both with red tape, you now know that these are to go back into the connector.
    The earths are straight forward.
    The blacks are the neutrals, they are the only blacks so don't need any more identification.
    The blue is the switch wire to the light.
    It is all straight forward, the only complication is the connector block, we have identified the wires for this so just replace them in the connector.
    On the new ceiling rose the reds now go into the loop connection, the blacks into the neutral, the blue into the connector for the light drop phase and the earths into the earth connection.
    All you have to do now is find room for the connector in the rose, don't put it in the ceiling void.
    Good luck, if all else fails, put the old one back on, you have the photo.

Martin.Stone likes this.
  5. Martin.Stone

Martin.Stone Member

Oh you can still buy these? It is grubby and I am having the ceiling skimmed so thought I'd replace it now, I googled it but couldn't find a picture. Any idea what I can search for to get a nice new one?

6. Martin.Stone

Martin.Stone Member

Thanks guys it sounds like it's a fiddly little job just to make it look fresh, maybe I should just replace like for like

7. Martin.Stone

Martin.Stone Member

But can I replace JUST the cable part? Leaving the cable connections up and not touched, I cant seem to find much info apart from MAYBE a Crabtree 5855 but I dont know whats inside

8. Lectrician

9. Martin.Stone

Martin.Stone Member

Brilliant! I only want the cabled bit replaced as its just horrible :) So my corded part has basically 2 prongs that push into the ceiling fitting, the 5855 should be a direct replacement?

10. Lectrician

Yes. The rose cover and flex drop would just swap over.

11. Martin.Stone

Martin.Stone Member

Great! I really didnt want to touch all those wires :)

12. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

I don't know how you'll get a decent skim around it without it being dropped off the ceiling though...

13. Martin.Stone

Martin.Stone Member

Oh no, do you think? The plasterer didn't say anything, maybe I should simply loosen the screws holding the rose but.

14. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

The plaster skim with be of some thickness. If you leave the rose on the ceiling the base will then be sunk into the new level of the plaster. You do not want that.

Undo the two securing screws and you should be able to ease the cables down a little bit, enough for Mr Spreader to get his goo behind.

Lectrician and Martin.Stone like this.