Replacing a Satchwell TLX 2259

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by RichieTag, Sep 23, 2016.

1. RichieTag

RichieTag New Member

Hi All,

I would like to replace my Satchwell TLX 2259 thermostat and looking for a straight forward replacement. Preferably a digital slim, white, reliable and compact one so it look nice and neat. As well as easy to use.

Firstly I have read a few threads but still can not work out if it's 2 or 3 wire thermostat?

Secondly I have read that Honeywell DT90E is a good straight forward reliable replacement. Is this the case?

Of course open to other recccomedations as again that was an old thread.

I would appreciate any help, advice and recommendations.

Thank you.

IMG_7178.JPG IMG_7177.JPG

2. Hi Richie.

I can't see the numbers on the actual terminals - can you confirm that they are in the same order as the printed label? (Ie BLUE - 4, RED - 3, and YELLOW- 1 and an earth?)

If so, then you currently have a 3-wire system which is good news. You don't have to use a 3-wire replacement, but it does give you the option of going 'mains' powered rather than battery (which I would personally do for convenience).

Your old stat is a 'hard-wired' type, so you will need to redo the connections on your new model (ie - some old stats have a separate terminal 'backplate' which stays on the wall and some new stats will simply clip straight on, but not this one.) However, the wiring is easy enough.

Ok, is there a metal backbox sunk into that wall - the sort of thing you have behind an electrical socket? If not, and you wish to avoid fitting one, then you'll need to go 'surface' mounted for your new choice. (Some of the slimmer. neater 'stats like the Heatmiser needs a back box so's most of it goes in to the wall and you chust have a neat plate on the front like a light switch).

Is the Honey DT90E a decent unit? Yes, but it's a 2-wire stat that runs on batteries. Not a problem if you are happy with that - you chust isolate the NEUTRAL wire safely behind the unit. Almost certainly the Neutral is the BLUE wire currently going to Term 4, but please confirm what I asked in the first line above.

Personally, since you have 3 wires there, I would choose a mains-powered 'stat, but that's my personal call.

While you are swapping this, are you sure you wouldn't rather go 'all the way' and fit a Programmable Stat? These are awesome, and will control both your timings and your temps, giving you whatever temp you want at whatever time you want it.

Check them out.

3. To clarify, if you go for a 2-wire replacement, then you'd chust use the RED and YELLOW, safely terminating the BLUE out of the way.

It doesn't really matter which way around you connect the RED and YELLOW, but the RED (the LIVE!) should ideally go to the new terminal marked 'COM' or 'A1', or 'A' or '1'.

Once you chose your new 'stat, we can guide you on this.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/DataSheets/Sunvic/TLX.pdf

4. RichieTag

RichieTag New Member

Hi DA,

That is most helpful, thank you very much appreciated.

I will confirm the numbers are in the same order as the printed label.

I will most defiantly look for a 3 wire stat now as that makes complete sense, as well as a programmable one, again it seems silly not to.

Unfortunately there isn't a back plate and is surfaced mounted but will consider both types... i.e. Surface mounted or recessed.

Do you have any recommendations for both types/styles?

Thanks once again really appreciate your time and help.

Rich

5. Prog stats are great - no question.

The mains-powered bit (3-wire) isn't such an issue really - the batteries on 2-wire jobbies will last a couple of years in most models, so not to worry too much about that.

Models? The Honeywell cm901 seems to be highly rated and easy to use (how easy it is to set and operate is probably the biggest issue with these babies!)

That Honey also won't need a back box dug in to your wall - it's surface mounted.

Not sure what a good mains (3-wire) one is - perhaps peeps on here can recommend some?

I have a Heatmiser myself - 3-wire - but needed to sink a box into the pebbly concrete block wall. It works ok, but it's nothing special. In fact I find it a bit sluggish in operation, and also need to consult the instructions to even change the time... :oops:

6. RichieTag

RichieTag New Member

Brilliant thanks.

I'm struggling to find any 3 wire surface mounted stats.

Does anyone else have a particular preference or can recommend?

If not I guess I will terminate the wire and go for a two wire surface mounted stat (maybe the Honeywell CM901) which is no bother but just a shame not to utilise the "third" wire.

7. RichieTag

RichieTag New Member

Does anyone have any recommendations for a thermostat, programmable?

I was looking at the Salus RT500 or Honeywell cm901?!

8. era

era New Member

Hi RichieTag, What did you decide to get, and has it worked OK.
    I too have a Satchwell TLX 2259.
    I don't know how to test whether it is working OK, although it seems to mechanically.
    Any suggestion as to how to test it? thermostat.jpg