Replacing Floorboards damaged by Woodworm

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Andrew_Herts, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Andrew_Herts

Andrew_Herts Member

Hi,

I bought a property that had a woodworm problem.

In order to treat the problem, I took a lot of boards up for when the property was treated.

Taking up some of the boards caused them to be damaged. This was due to the woodworm weakening some of the wood.

In regards to replacing these damaged boards, should I take them to a timber yard to ensure that the replacement boards are the current depth?

Once I get the replacement boards, should I also treat them with an anti woodworm spray?

Thanks for any advice

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

What is the depth of your current floor, and what is the finish to be?

3. Andrew_Herts

Andrew_Herts Member

The finish is going to be engineered wood.

Do you mean the depth of the floorboard or the area underneath the floorboards Jord?

4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Definanetly treat all "old" wood coming into the house. I would just cut an offcut and take that to the Salvage yard for comparison - but don't take an infected part, you won't be thanked :D

vivaro man likes this.
  5. vivaro man

vivaro man Active Member

Hi Andrew,

What you're looking for is someone to match the boards that you have already got in your property. Presumably it's an old property and therefore the boards will be about 7/8'' thick and about 4'' wide? Think about taking all of the old flooring out and refit with osb3. You're covering the floorboards with engineered hardwood flooring so the osb will never be seen. The osb will give you a great surface to work on and you need not particularly bother about joist spacing.

Alternatively you can go to a reclamation yard and begin the process of piecing the floor boards up. Other than that find a nice kind chippie who has a spindle moulder with power feed and get some floorboards made out of new stock. It's all going to be covered up though.

Good luck.

Andrew_Herts likes this.
  6. I would really feel sorry for the next owner, if they decided to get rid of the engineered/laminate floor and found that carp rather than real floorboards.

7. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

osb3! Yuk! Do it properly, Replace the missing boards.

Deleted member 11267 likes this.
  8. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Nothing wrong with removing the old floor boards and replacing with a sheet material. I personally wouldn't use osb3, but (an expensive option) go for 18mm ply. I'd also check the condition of the existing joists too. If the floor boards had woodworm, then the joist will have had them too. ;)

vivaro man and Andrew_Herts like this.
  9. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Depends on how many square meters you have to replace. If not much, then you could always square up existing boards, by taking up a few others and relocating them, then patch in with a bit of sheet material etc.

10. Andrew_Herts

Andrew_Herts Member

I live right by a recycling timber yard.

So will visit there.

I did have to reinforce some of the joists due to the woodworm.

11. Sheet materials on a floor are just cheap and nasty.
    Floorboards every time is the best way,has been for hundreds of years.

koolpc likes this.
  12. Andrew_Herts

Andrew_Herts Member

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated.

13. Andrew_Herts

Andrew_Herts Member

Is there a particular woodworm spray you would recommend using on the new boards?

14. joinerjohn1

Pray tell me what you would suggest for a tiled floor then? Hmmmmmmmm As I said before, there's nothing wrong with sheet materials for flooring.. What do you suggest we do with our computers? After all we didn't have them hundreds of years ago..(and managed pretty well without them) Times change and the construction industry has to adopt new/ different methods... PS, there's nothing cheap about 18mm plywood these days. ;)

Jord86 and CGN like this.
  15. If it is going to be a tiled floor that is different and ply would have to be laid or wire mesh and a screed.
    In my opinion these different methods are used is to cut down on labour time and material cost, to the detriment of the actual job being carried out.
    Floorboards will always be a superior job to sheet material.
    Floorboards are also 100 percent better when any plumbing or electrical alterations are required.

TP&N likes this.
  16. joinerjohn1

Dunno Deleted member 11267, have you ever fixed skirting using completely traditional methods? I have. once had to do a complete old Victorian house chopping out verticals and plugging them with timber to fix the skirting to. Took almost two weeks to fit the skirting.. Had I been allowed to either glue or fix the skirting with brown plugs and screws, it could have been done in two days (and looked no different).
    Again I'm not entirely sure. Have you seen the state of floor boards after a plumber or electrician has hacked them up? I put down a plywood floor some months ago. I've also planned ahead and if the owner wants to do electrical or plumbing work under the floor in the future, all he has to do is lift the carpet and take out a half sheet for access under the floor. (the half sheet has been screwed down for this exact scenario)

17. Depends who the plumber or electrician is, as in every trade there are butchers and there are concientious tradesmen.
    Or they might be 5 week wonders not served an apprenticeship and were not shown how to lift boards properly.
    When I started we used a Rawlplug tool for fixing everything,the first years joiners job was to fix all the grounds with a plugging chisel and an axe to cut the plugs.

18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Plugging chisel:eek: do peeps still use them,I was doing some brickwork here back in the spring, neighbour was also having some work done,builder had a trainee brickie, who got talking to me, I was using plugging chisel at the time & he never seen one, & he was on his third year at college & on the job experience, don't teach the kids anything today.:(

And I still have a Rawlplug tool,those were the days...:)

19. TP&N

TP&N Active Member

Memory's Rawlplug tools both mine are in the old box but at least we had muscles back in those days LOL. Wouldn't like to go back to those days having used SDS drills for a few years now.

20. The thing is us old geriatrics could go and do a job without power tools tomorrow and get it done as good although slower.
    Ask a youngster say in there 20's or maybe30's they would not have a clue where to start.

TP&N likes this.