Replacing Garage supply6

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Wrennmania, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Wrennmania

Wrennmania New Member

Hi All

Am replacing my garage supply which currently runs off a 13amp spur in the house with a 2.5 t and e

At garage end have a CU with 3 x 16a and 2 x 6a mcb's just to separate the circuits as follows

16a two freezers
    16a four sockets general us
    16a one socket small compressor
    6a. Three strip lights
    6a. Outside lights and emergency lighting over bench

No heavy machinery

At house end have dedicated CU with 63 Amp RCCB AND 40 a mcb

I intend to run 6mm t and e cable in plastic conduit in the 100mm wide gravel strip around the house it is about 50mm deep. Very little risk of digging or damage

Is the mcb ok at 40 amp as not sure of eating for 6 mm in this mode.

Do not want to use swa as to many sharp bends and no way to terminate with glands at the CU's as all controls are on the flat back so nothing to connect to Square d quick line CU's

Cheers
    Andy

2. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

If you are putting cable in the ground then you have to either use SWA or mechanically protect it. T&E in plastic conduit is not mechanically protected. Maybe time to call the sparky fella to get it done safely.

3. Wrennmania

Wrennmania New Member

Thanks , if I go for Swa how do I terminate at the CU,s when there is no facility for a gland

4. tina lucinda lane

tina lucinda lane Screwfix Select

with a wiska box and some twin and earth from the wiska box to each cu

5. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Strip the SWA back quite far and gland into a 4" square metal box below the consumer unit, run the cores of the SWA straight through the box into the main switch.

6. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

20mm galv through box. Or change garage CU. I would use 20amp MCBs.

7. Wrennmania

Wrennmania New Member

Thanks . Why 20amp mcb's when 16amp are fine for what I need

Cheers
    Andy

8. Wrennmania

Wrennmania New Member

Thanks for that . Great idea but no space for the box

If I used 6mm t and e above ground
    clipped to the wall in plastics conduit would a 40amp mcb in the house be ok

Cheers

9. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Why under rate something when you don't need to? Would you consider a 6amp if you only intended on using clock radios and lamps? Nope. So why derate a circuit design for no reason?

A 16amp socket circuit isn't even recognised in the OSG as a circuit type.
    If your compressor is 16amp, a 16amp interlock socket from a C16 mcb would be my choice.

A1 Ring, 2.5mm min, 32amp, 100sq m
    A2 Radial, 4mm min, 32amp, 75sq m
    A3 Radial, 2.5mm min, 20amp, 50 sq m

TandE in conduit on a wall is OK, but SWA is by far the install method of choice. Don't be scared, do the right thing.