REPLACING OLD 125W HALOGEN FLOOD WITH 20W LED

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by h2f connectors, May 30, 2017.

1. h2f connectors

h2f connectors New Member

Hi all, Ive read through some of the threads and come across some advice that would help me but not entirely so thought i better post myself.

I currently have a 125w halogen flood light fitted to the external wall in my rear garden which has been busted up by a football (or something) and have purchased a 20w led flood to replace it along with an additional 20w led to go further around my extension to what was the darker side of my garden.

I currently have a switch on the inside of the window (lounge) to turn on/off with twin and earth (flat) going through the wall into a junction box and then the cable running into the flood.

I have purchased a 3 way external junction box. 1 to take the existing cable from the switch, 2 & 3 for the 2 new lights. 2nd light will be approx. 6m from the 1st.

My questions are:
    1. Do i need 0.75 or 1.00mm rubber cable to run to the 2nd light? (Mixed advice on here)
    2. Do i need to make any changes to the existing wiring?
    3. Do I need to notify anybody.

Further info. House built in 60's, extension built in 90's.

Thanks in advance

Lee

2. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

OK

1. How is this circuit suppled? What size fuse is in the circuit? If its a lighting circuit (6A) or an FCU with a 3 or 5amp fuse in, then either flex size is OK. Doin't forget you'll need 3-core.

2. No

3. No

3. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

You do in Wales it would cost so much not worth DIY'ing job use a scheme member electrician or break the law.

4. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

He would if it was a new lighting circuit but not for a replacement fitting.

Kind regards

5. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

The garden is a special location in Wales, but not in England, so in England he would not need to inform the council in Wales to do without informing the council one would have to use pre-made units, Blagdon did a system designed to get around the law, not really impressed, but it did get around the Part P law as everything pre-constructed you just plugged it in, not sure if still made since English law changed.

Even with the old law still valid in Wales, there were some grey areas, was the outside wall of the house part of the garden? In real terms you would need to annoy some one to get caught, seem to remember over 150W requires planning permission, not sure if this has changed to lumen output since the move to low energy lamps? But unless some one complains then how would the council know?

Replacing the original is OK, it is "an additional 20w led to go further around my extension to what was the darker side of my garden." where in Wales there would be a problem. I had it with my neighbour, he fitted a new lamp which shined into my bedroom waking me up every time a cat walked past, it also went crazy if I used my outside lamp, every time his light went on, mine would go off, and then when his went off mine would go one, which would then trigger his. I complained to him and he re-directed it, had I not got on with him, and I had complained to council, then they would have had to do something about him breaking the law, it was over the 150W limit.

So under normal circumstances there is no problem, but if by doing it you upset some one, then it could be different.