Resin Bonded Stone Worktop

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Pollowick, Nov 9, 2016.

1. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Need some advice on fitting one in my bathroom.

I can cut to size using a diamond tile cutter, sand the edge flat and polish with T-cut and it looks fine.

Now, I need to fix it to the unit - screws are obviously out and I do want it to be removable which means a full silicone bead/bed is so right either.

My idea is to stick some blocks on the underside which will rest hard against the inside of the cabinet and stop any movement - the blocks would/could be screwed to the cabinet but how to fix them to the "stone".

I am thinking about using some Pink Grip grab adhesive ... any thoughts? would it be suitable? or any better suggestions? http://www.screwfix.com/p/everbuild-solvented-grab-adhesive-350ml/6048h

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Yanks put down a plywood top first then stick then stick the resin bonded worktop to that, gives a greater fixing area than a few small blocks.

Also look at Everbuild Stixall, a very,very good adhesive.

Sticks Metals, Glass, Brick, Timber, PVCu, Marble, Granite, Mirrors, Stone, Plaster, Concrete, Hard Plastics, Ceramics, Timber, Fibreglass, Roof Tile, Slate & many other things.:)

http://www.everbuild.co.uk/stixall/stixall-1

Countertop fix.

3. Pollowick

This in only a small top - 560 x 215 and is to be a sandwich of two layer to give a stepped effect. Ideally I want to be able to just "drop it into place" rather than stick down and a ply base would be visible

Reason I suggest Pink Grip is that I had a few tubes given to me ...

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Ah!

Now't wrong with Pink Grip.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
  5. Pollowick

Finished off the polishing today ... glasspaper, wet&dry and finally T-cut.

Did some testers overnight and it appears to work on the stone but not on plastic blocks I decided to stick to it! Have now attached some steel brackets and that seems better. Will not get back to it until Sun/Mon though.

6. Pollowick

So, tried the Pink Grip - left for 24hours and the adhesive is well stuck to the stone, however it has only partially stuck to the steel bracket and I could pull it off by hand!

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Everbuild Stixall

8. Pollowick

I know, and I have everything except that here! Need to pick some up tonight however SF don't stock it!

Everbuild seemed be a little surprised when I told them that PinkGrip did not work on the plated steel brackets though.

9. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Stixall = Toolstation

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Competitor does.:rolleyes:

Another thing our host don't stock.

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:eek::eek:

Bad language!

Go & wash your mouth out with soap!:p

12. Pollowick

Stixall >>>> StixMost

Finally had a chance to try some test pieces and fit small stretcher plates to the stone. After 12 hours it was still possible to pull the galvanised steel plate off the stone - the Stixall was well bonded the stone but not the plate.

I they tried it with a plastic joining block - face sanded to give a key and after 22 hours curing it came away. Fortunately, having sanded the face of a stretcher plate to give a better key and remover the zinc galvanising, there does seem to be a bond after 22 hours.

13. GoodwithWood

GoodwithWood Active Member

What's wrong with wooden blocks? You can create a much larger block which gives a much greater surface area than a little metal bracket or plastic connector block. Stixall is the dogs.

Personally I would have just siliconed it in place though as it is still removable if needed with just a minute to cut round with a Stanley knife or scalpel.

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Surprised.:eek: