Restricted operations permit - Wessex water

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Triggaa, May 30, 2016.

1. Triggaa

Triggaa New Member

Hello all,
    I'm a newbie attempting to do my own extension with help from a semi retired brickie and father in law who is a building suyveyor.
    I'm adding a new drain to my sewer and have had to apply to Wessex water to do this. According to,the notes I got from them;

https://www.wessexwater.co.uk/Devel...guidance-notes-and-suitable-contractors-list/
    And
    https://www.wessexwater.co.uk/Devel...ted-operations-permit-card---confined-spaces/

the person carrying out these works has to have a Restricted operations permit card and prove that they are able to work in confined spaces.
    The sewer is 900mm deep.
    My builder brickie hasn't got any experience of doing this and I don't won't to find another contractor (for cost reasons and difficulty in finding anyone to give me a quote let alone actually come and do some work).
    Has anyone else had an experience with this or know how to get around it.
    Hope you can help...

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

What a load of BS, Wessex Waters comes out with, I thought the Restricted operations permit only applied to working in their manholes, not laying drains.
    How are you connecting via a actual manhole or as a saddle/junction to an exsisting pipe, I would have thought you could run up to their sewer & they make the last connecting, NOT cheap.

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

If you have manhole in your garden, why involve WW? ,usually a simple job to connect into it.
    Only time I involve WW would be, if I had to connect to their sewer in the main road.

4. Triggaa

Triggaa New Member

Building regs insist on contact/involvement with the water company (and say they wish to be updated with any correspondence).

I have to construct the new man hole in the area I intend to connect my new drain to the sewer.

I was just hoping someone new a way around it

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

WW is a pain in the rear most times, whats wrong with using 450mm inspection chamber, simple & quick, complys with regs, brick chambers are old fashion today.

upload_2016-5-31_10-51-19.jpeg

Triggaa likes this.
  6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  7. Triggaa

Triggaa New Member

The hassle is because WW seem to be insisting on having only people who have a confined spaces certificate and a level 2 in working in medium risk confined spaces to put a new man hole cover in to their sewer (even though it's on my land and only 900mm down).
    And when this qualified person has done the ground works that I'll have to pay a bomb for, WW still make the final connection which I have to pay for.
    It does state that in the link you sent.
    I've been trying to call to get some insight from them. I will update when I do.

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:confused::confused:

So, does the drain on your property serve any other houses, & then connects to a main sewer off your property.

In 30 years, I have only ever paid a connection fee for connecting to a main sewer.
    All the ground work I have done myself, including laying pipes up to a main sewer ready for a connection to be made to it by WW.

9. Triggaa

Triggaa New Member

It's serves 5 houses in total, running through everyone's back gardens before joking the main sewer. I'm in the middle.
    I've never done this before, so all I'm going in is the bumf they have sent me (the links above).
    I know that they own or at least are responsible for the sewer in my garden hence the connection fee

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Can't see a way around it, your going to have to use an approved contractor.
    The first house in a terrace is private drain, the others are considered a public drain, after 30 years, I have been interperting things wrongly, & never had any issues with BC over it.[​IMG]:oops::oops:.