ridge/hip tiles

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by kitchenfitterleeds, Jul 29, 2013.

1. kitchenfitterleeds

kitchenfitterleeds New Member

Booked the week of to do a lisst of things around the house  so started today with the gutters borrowed a  mate of mines easi dec system and was done for about 2  while doing the gutterings i noticed  5 ridge/hip tiles that have totally dislodged so i have removed them cleaned them and placed them back what is the best mix for them?? and also would you srb the roof tiles first or anything like that?   cheers for any help given!

2. No need for SBR, although its a good product, its not needed in your case.

Bed the ridge/hip tiles on a 3 sand to 1 cement mix, if its near the bottom,make sure you have a hip iron fitted.

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

If it's not rained there recently, would you slightly dampen the tiles first?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

4. kitchenfitterleeds

3 to 1  is that standerd building sand and yes i have replaced the hip iron on the bottem

5. Standard building sand is ok, we add a bit of plastering sand as its more grittier.

Andy, no need to wet the tiles before hand, you need to bed the ridge on, point up, job finished.

6. kitchenfitterleeds

think i have a bag of sharp sand in the garage so if i mixed it 2 building 1 sharp 1cement would that be better? thanks

7. surfermick

surfermick New Member

the mix you have mentioned will do the job nicely Kitchenfitter:) 2 build, 1 sharp and 1 cement.

8. kitchenfitterleeds

thank you all very much got the job done today just befor the rain looks Bob on i must say!

9. lenhamuser

lenhamuser New Member

Hi, Very useful to know the mix for fixing ridge tiles, but rather than start a new thread with the same title and similar subject,

My question is, how long should ridge tiles stay stuck?

My new roof was completed just on 10 years ago and I see that realistically, the ridge tiles are just resting on the cement, which in turn is resting on the slates. In places the cement has fallen out and in one place the ridge tile is completely adrift, all the cement having gone, that one being the one adjacent to the hip iron. One ridge was replaced a few years ago by my original builder when it had fallen apart completely.

Is this a rotten job or do the bonds separate this quickly? The facia which was plywood is also falling apart / delaminating - clearly not marine ply. There's a fair bit of putting right to do on a 10 year old house.