Rising damp?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by SarahM, Feb 4, 2017.

1. SarahM

SarahM New Member

Hi

Apologies in advance for essay.

My lounge had a new concrete floor laid around 8 weeks ago. Damp proof membrane was put down and builder's pal told me he tucked it up under skirting boards (originals were kept in place).

Before floor was laid there was a small damp patch on floor next to interior wall which we thought was from a leak from external wall above (adjacent kitchen has watermarks at top of wall, same area). A crack on this external wall was re-rendered when floor laid. Wall is original stone wall circa 1900 I think, so no damp course and lime mortar as far as I know.

Shortly after new floor was laid there was heavy rain and I spotted a small water patch above skirting, same area, plus salt crystals. It subsequently dried and has been fine so assumed it was residual. We've just had heavy rain again and a new small damp patch has appeared on floor below skirting, just along from original patch.

Builder thinks it's rising damp...

If membrane was edged to skirting board, can damp come up in front of skirting?

Is it possible water could trickle through inside of stone wall and appear only at bottom, so it may still be external leak? Builder thinks there would be water mark higher up if leak was above.

Cupboard in pic is on outside wall. No sign of water on this outside wall, or anywhere else.

Any expert ideas please?

Attached Files:

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

So a new concrete floor was laid with orginal skirting in place.:(
    Water would only come in front of skirting if dpm was punctured, if rising damp you see more signs on the wall.

Is there any leaking gutter, water pipe/drainage pipe or drain gully other side of outside wall, which might be leaking.

Got a photo of area of outside wall affected.

3. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Well that's a first. DPM is a really difficult thing to keep in place up the walls when laying concrete, the corners even more so. Being able to tuck it behind a skirting whilst pouring a floor ......

If the water is in the other room as well it is probably following a route from in there

It does look like you floor has a lot of water still in it because after 8 weeks it should have gone an even grey colour. Your picture shows a darker patch in the doorway and a line down the skirting

KIAB likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Agree, would be quite easy for dpm to slip/move under weight of concrete being poured.
    Need a photo showing larger area of concrete floor where damp is.

5. SarahM

SarahM New Member

Thanks both for taking time to reply. Some more photos attached.

It's hard to get good pics sorry as room is quite dark. The area that looks dark in original pic is my shadow I think. Hopefully these give a better overall idea though.

Alcove cupboards are against outer wall. Damp spot is by interior wall.
    High ceiling of adjoining kitchen wall with damp stain - staining has been there years as haven't repainted after outside wall was re-rendered 4 years ago. Just got up there and again hard to tell but I think it's a bit damp up there. I've marked around darker area so I can judge over next few days.
    Outside pic shows where last render has been cut out and re-done again!

This home of mine costs me a small fortune.

There's also a pic of lounge ceiling corner which shows a darker area but I'm finding it hard to judge if that's just shadow.

There's no sign of damp in bedroom but 2 years ago I had 2×false interior walls put in for insulation of outer walls. Chimney wall has a vent.

If water is getting in at top of kitchen, is it possible it could only show at base of adjoining wall? Stone wall is 45cm thick.

Thanks

Sarah

Attached Files:

6. SarahM

SarahM New Member

Sorry hit send by mistake. Here's the other pics.

Attached Files:

KIAB likes this.
  7. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Look like a problem here or is it new work ?

upload_2017-2-4_11-9-57.png

KIAB likes this.
  8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Thanks for extra photo's.:)

Blocked gutter oveverflowing, allow water down behind render?
    Also check lead flashing, might be allowing water to get through or behind to wall below .

SarahM likes this.
  9. SarahM

SarahM New Member

That's the new render. Section was cut out then meshed and re rendered.

10. SarahM

SarahM New Member

That was all checked when they did the re render but I'll ask them to have another look. I think this is why builder is so sure it's water coming up, because he can't work out where it could be getting in.

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Water can take some very strange route to get from A to B.

Photo with ladder, plaster looks blown, also ceiling staining, rising damp wouldn't get that high.
    And last photo seem to show water ingress.

12. SarahM

SarahM New Member

Thanks KIAB. Problem is stains etc happened when there def was a leak a while ago so it's hard to tell if water is still coming in now.

Thanks for the advice. You've confirmed that at very least we need to check for leak. Fingers crossed we find it soon!

Enjoy the sunny weekend :)

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

If water has been getting in where render has been repaired for some time, then it will take some time for wall to dry out.

SarahM likes this.
  14. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Surely guy should have removed skirting before laying floor etc?

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Yes.

16. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I would get yourself a little damp detector £20 like the one below and test your walls independently. The best way to test is to select a few points on the wall and mark them with a Sharpie or pencil. Then get a few readings over a period. You may even be able to follow the path of the water

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zevek-Mois...10993&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=damp+tester&psc=1

If you want to track down your cold spots and also the source of the damp you could get one of the £190 though - but a lot of people sell them on once they have had the use. The water trail should appear a lot colder than the rest of the wall.

https://www.tester.co.uk/flir-tg130...Le64NcPPj_-Prj6ZBHTrQy5LooinqeQu_FhoCyqHw_wcB

SarahM and KIAB like this.
  17. e30mark

e30mark Member

Your floor looks like its just had levelling compound poured on, did they really dig up the floor and replace ?

KIAB likes this.
  18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

That's it, thank you, you hit the nail on the head, been niggling me this photo, now on pc I can see it much clearer now.

[​IMG]

This looks classic levelling compound, by blowholes, colour swirls,etc.:eek:

19. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

If you look in the cupboard shot, you can see it on the skirting. either that or a weak screed

20. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Leveling compound I say.