Risk ???

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by miss pickle, Aug 29, 2015.

1. miss pickle

miss pickle Well-Known Member

Just a little post then I'm off to do my painting :)

Oooooh I read some very scary leccy threads smiley-sad005.gif I don't get why people mess about with electrics if they are unsure. Surely its not a good idea :( the same goes for gas. Why would you risk it :confused:
    I go cold reading some of them, I really do.
    I just don't get it!
    Is it a money thing do you think? It got me thinking.
    What would happen for instance if someone couldn't afford an electrician :eek: and they had dodgy electrics.
    What would they do :oops: if it was their own home.
    That's not a nice thought :(
    Would somebody help them :) if that was the case?

2. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Unfortunately, imo, 90% of households have 'dodgy' electrics.
    "It was like that when we moved in", Yeh right.
    You'd be amazed at some of the things us sparks see/have to deal with.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Even after 30 years or so,I see things that still amazes me, how some don't burn down the house has me mystified.

4. miss pickle

Yeah my ex is a plumber and his best mate is an electrician, friends since childhood. My god some of the stories he used to come out with. Scary stuff! Maybe that's why I scream "don't do it" at my tablet every time I read some of the threads on here.
    Must be tricky for you electricians to try and advise on the forum. I suppose its a fine line and you have to work out whether they are competent enough for that particular job. I find the leccy threads the most serious of all, but i can understand why smiley-sad005.gif
    All sounds very complicated and dangerous. Must feel like somebody else's life is in your hands. What a responsibility! :eek:

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Went to house years ago,a fuse kept tripping, I was shocked, the spark with me,had been one many, many years was speechless. The fuse boxes were wooden, & there were loads of them in fact dotted all around the very large old house, each had a windowed door, one might have three 5 amp fuses, another two 15 amp fuses all ceramic fuses.
    The wiring in the attic was supended from ceramic blocks, & so old, the fabric insulation was long gone,just bare conductors, yet still live & in use.:eek:
    And the old spark condemned everything, yet the old owner wouldn't get the place rewired, & the place never burnt down.:eek:

6. miss pickle

Sheer luck he's alive then kiab :eek:! Its the oldies I worry about! :( Some are stuck in these big rambling old cottages and don't have the money to maintain them nowadays and don't want to leave their home either. In Devon I see so many old cottages not maintained. I drove past one the other week with my teen and the traffic stopped so I was nosing in at this house that looked derelict. Then I saw an old woman totter to the sink. I said to my girl "Oh my god there's somebody living in there" :eek:

7. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

Back in the 70s I once was employed by a one man band plumber/electrician.

On my first day the gaffer dropped me off at an house to fit a new radiator.
    When I opened up the drill box the drill inside didn't have a plug on it, just two wires.

When the gaffer returned he was as mad as hell because I hadn't finished the job. I explained the reason as to why I hadn't done but he just shook his head whilst pushing the wires directly into the power socket exclaiming (not much of an electrician are you")!

8. miss pickle

:D:D:D

images-69.jpeg

9. miss pickle