Roller marks on stair walls

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by r18rws, Jan 31, 2017.

1. r18rws

r18rws Member

Having a right pain n the wotsit sorting this wall out. It is the wall on the staircase so a longer wall and lots of light showing off roller marks. Cant for the life of me get it right even though every other wall and room is spot on. All other rooms have had a dulux/crown or even b&q colours matt put on them with no issues.

Originally the stairs wall was silk with some roller marks, a b&q colours soft sand according to the tin left behind from previous home owner. I prefer matt and know its better at concealing any marks and usually easier to touch in too, so my paint of choice.
    Went for Leyland Trade Magnolia - basically the same colour but £20 for 12 litres rather than god knows what for a few cans of colour emulsion which is essentially the same magnolia anyway!

I used a rubbish roller, my fault, buy cheap buy twice and all that. Using the Leyland matt trade/contract paint.

The walls ended up similar with roller marks so new decent roller Harris T Ultimate fro the forum sponsor and start again, hoping to go straight over it without any more prep work (why do I keep trying to take short cuts!!!)... It doesn't cover the marks, or perhaps created new ones so I am going to have to rub it down. Fine....

So to make sure I get it right, can you suggest any changes to my plans... I was going to rub down, vacuum so its clean and dust free and then go at it again but dilute the paint by 10% clean water to keep it a bit thinner/wetter more workable. As it is matt on matt the coat last night was really being sucked in to the earlier layer so drying very quickly.

Obviously keep the normal roller technique that has worked on every other wall of the house without any issues....New rollers felt so much better actually last night but still not achieved the right result.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I always wash a new roller before use.

3. r18rws

r18rws Member

Yes it was washed thanks Kiab. Actually whilst it was a bit damper to begin with - had spun it dry but obv not completely bone dry, it felt easier to roll the paint - which is why I am thinking about diluting the paint a bit.

Cheers for comment though

4. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Sometimes the roller marks are due to trying to get all the paint off the roller each time, try loading the roller and refill before it starts to roll thin.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  5. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

You pressing down too hard when rolling? Loading too much paint on? Not going over the roller lines enough? Plus, silk underneath! Were there lines in the silk?

6. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I'm not sure what these "roller marks" look like, but could well be excess paint caused by pressing too hard on the roller so paint oozes from the ends

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Can be a nightmare to get a good finish on a stairwell mainly due to accessibility and how the roller is used often in a confined space off ladders and planks, thinning the paint to help maintain a wet edge would help.

8. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

You've got to sand out the previous roller marks as once dried, the next coat won't cover these

I've had rollers before that no matter my technique, they were leaving tram lines. Not super cheap or the best, think they were branded Pro Dec

Found that the pile either end once soaked with paint seems to hang over core of roller, leaving lines. Quick trim with scissors sorted this problem for me

Lots of techniques with rollers - just got to find one that works for you but, many factors influence the finish as well

It's a balance of going over the newly rollered paint surface to even out but, not overworking the paint as on a nice flat wall, this can lead to a raised texture

9. r18rws

r18rws Member

IMG_7607.JPG Tried a watered down paint mix but once dry same again. Hit it with sandpaper, vacuum and painted. Drying now and looking loads better hopefully match up with the other walls which are all perfect.

Thanks for the input. Pic attached of the original issue. Think it was marked paint with Matt on top that then showed the same mark and a couple more coats that just exasperated the issue. The Matt texture had got very obvious far too much texture.

And the paint was then drying almost on impact...

10. Not-a-Decor8r

Not-a-Decor8r Member

What roller type are you using? I use Harris Icon Smooth finish (4 quid but worth it).

11. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Collapsed-house-in-Clacto1.jpg

BlauBear likes this.
  12. Not-a-Decor8r

Not-a-Decor8r Member

13. r18rws

r18rws Member

Started with a newish one I had in the garage but source not known - first mistake. Switched and gone for these after 2 coats but the problem was already there I think by that point so only getting worse.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/t-class-ultima-roller-tray-set-3-pcs/3740g

Still not sure on the paint - seems particularly difficult to roller. Looks fine now after the sand and start again but still not an easy paint to work with.
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/leyland-trade-contract-matt-emulsion-paint-magnolia-10ltr/95089

14. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Sorry but i hate that paint!

15. r18rws

r18rws Member

16. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

I mean i dont use Leyland as not had good experience with it in the past.

17. r18rws

r18rws Member

Picking up some dulux endurance+ instead. Matt still but should be better/tougher for the hall way anyway I guess. And hopefully will go on better.
    Fortunately its only the 2 stairs walls that have had more than a single coat of the leyland contract paint and they have both been rubbed back down and just a single layer on again. Looking alright but cant face having to tocuh in and going through it again!

£22 for 5 litres so not bad, woudl have been better had I gone straight for it instead of spunking £20 on this stuff first along with the all the hassle and time spent!!

18. r18rws

r18rws Member

Wow, so much better with the Dulux Endurance and should last much better too. The stairs walls were in pretty bad shape so might need to rub back smooth a bit more in places. Hopefully this paint can touch in better or it will be the whole wall.

It went so much further too. Spread really nicely and where the Leyand (even when diluted) was literally sucked into the wall within half a stroke, the Dulux is going for at least one full wall height, and a bit more too.