Roof Leak - What is the best way to isolate it?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by bond007, Nov 20, 2015.

1. bond007

bond007 Well-Known Member

Guys

I went into my Loft the other day and noticed a small patch of wet on the floorboards. This was directly under my chimney flue which exits out on the roof.

I did the usual of checking to see if i can see any wetness around the exit of the Flu and around it
    - Couldn't really feel or visibly see anything.

I'm getting a roofer to come round on the weekend to have a look around the outside chimney on the roof an the pointing and shingles.

My question is:

What is the best way to isolate a roof leak?

Which Roof seal can i use which is fit for purpose and durable?

Silicone better or a roof seal paint?

Thanks

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Directly under the chimney flue................at worst the lead flashing has perished and needs replacing.

3. bond007

Ive only had the new class 2 chimney put in 2 years ago. Would have expected it to last longer.

Get a roof seal or lead flashing to fix the issue?

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Just have the lead stepped flashing replaced around the chimmey, also check the condition of the pointing at the same time.

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Are we talking a chimney stack leak or something like a stainless steels pipe flue?

6. bond007

Guys so i have isolated the roof leak from inside the Loft ( see pictures attached ). Can see a hairline crack and a patch around steel pipe flue going out.

My chimney is coming out from the ridges in the roof and not on the slant it self.

Is there anyway i can minimize the leak from inside by doing anything? like putting roof seal coating on or anything?

A roofer is coming round but when its stops raining in a few days. What can i ask him to do from the outside?

Thanks

Attached Files:

7. bond007

Anyone have any ideas in how to seal it from the inside too?

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Need to done properly from the outside.

Would have thought there would have been some kind of weather slate fitted to prevent this.

9. bond007

If the pointing looks all clean from the outside. Can a roof seal liquid be applied over it?

10. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

Needs done externally, you'll be locking the water in above any temporary internal repair and the water will move elsewhere and materialise elsewhere.

Collect the water till you get a chance to properly fix.

That stack should have a weathering cravat to throw the water off. There also should be a lead apron or similar flashing piece that should sit over the ridge and overlap the ridge tiles either side of the flue.

I would be sealing around the pipe with a suitable flexible adhesive/sealant Sikaflex EBT or similar.

Good luck