Roof tiles removed without permission

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Edwardz, Apr 20, 2024.

1. Edwardz

Edwardz Member

I live in a semi and my neighbour has got their roof replaced. They asked for permission to shorten the height of the chimney however I was surprised to discover their roofer has replaced some of my roof tiles which look like a patchwork quilt next to my old weathered ones. Aside from that I don't think the work looks right with gaps particularly at the bottom and the guttering has been altered. My neighbours guttering looks lower and the end of mine is now bending down into theirs. As for the work around the chimney, I have no idea if that is good or not. When I asked the roofer what was going on he said he would look at it and give me a knock in 10 minutes. He didn't come back to me and instead packed up his equipment and left. He had however, filled the gaps with small pieces of tiles.

They had already dropped tiles into my garden and one of these interlocking concrete tiles smashed the corner of my garden wall off.

Other houses in the area have had their roof replaced with a neat border between them with no tiles being replaced on the neighbours side.

I would be grateful for free new tiles if they blended in better. Apart from the appearance and concern about it affecting the possible sale of the house. I am concerned about rain getting in.

Any thoughts? 20240419_170612.jpg

2. Mark DM

Mark DM Screwfix Select

Can't tell how the tile abutment joint has been flashed from the picture . The joint looks poorly leveled and aligned . As your tiles are weathered, again can't tell what they are exactly but a brown granular tile may well have been more suitable and a better match. Poor detailing to the flashing at base of the stack. Some of your tiles are not laid correctly and as you suggest, why were the majority of your existing tiles not reused. Was the new roof originally slate? Wonder also if the additional weight loading of concrete tiles was accounted for within the structure of existing timber.

3. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Awful 'work'.

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Reclaimed roof tiles are usually available to match your exiting tiles (match as in same tile and pre-used so weathered to match/blend in with current roof)

More work for the roofer as he has to track these down and depending on tile type, may be easy to find locally or hard work but, forward thinking and planning ahead of the job helps here

Realise this wasn’t your roof job but when we had to have roof repairs made, checked with the guy that reclaimed tiles would be used. He just smiled and said ‘unless you specify you want brand new tiles used, which will stick out like a sore thumb, then reclaimed every time’

I think your entitled to discuss above with your neighbour, not his fault personally but as a direct result of work that he has commissioned, and ask for roofers number and contest him directly to discuss above concerns

Also a good idea to put your concerns down in writing and record all phone calls made via your mobile

After recieving some more replies from the pros on this site and advice, also add to your letter what you expect to be done to rectify the above mess

Good luck

5. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

That looks and probably is AWFUL. AS a minimum he should have reused tiles from you roof, or selected from your neighbour. Looking at the chimney stack, air bricks and downpipe, I wonder how much is on your side and how much on your neighbours.

I would get his details and in inform him with asigned for letter that you want your roof returned to the original state with 21 days or you will commission the work from a another roofer and sue him in court for the costs.

Ind spark, arrow and WildCat like this.
  6. BuildingMad

BuildingMad Screwfix Select

Just to add, if your neighbours guttering was lowered & does not have a downpipe, then the water will have no where to go but splash over; but then you have your own problems to worry about.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2024
  7. arrow

arrow Screwfix Select

Terrible job. Assuming the next doors roof was original like yours, why did they not use tiles removed from that roof if some of yours got damaged. The guttering is also very questionable.

Ind spark likes this.
  8. Edwardz

Edwardz Member

Thank you so much for all of the replies and taking the time to do so. I have spoken to the neighbours and they are also unhappy with the work that has been done to their side of the roof and new guttering. They are going to contact the company today. They arrived in a plain white van with no company name on so I'm concerned they may suddenly disappear.

Just to add, the neighbours tiles were originally the same as ours so there was no join in the middle. They had no chute so threw everything down to the skip from the scaffolding. I'm wondering if they just took ours down to do their work but then threw all the tiles in the skip. A loft inspection shows light coming in at the base of the chimney. They replaced the timber of the roof.

9. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Do you or your neighbours have any contact details for them? A van reg number? If not ask for local cameras footage which may show it.

10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

It looks to be half way across the chimney stack so new tiles are on your neighbours side.....not looking good for the neighbour or yourself. :(

HarryL1234, arrow and Abrickie like this.
  11. arrow

arrow Screwfix Select

Did not notice that. You can see it better looking at the air bricks and downpipe.

Astramax likes this.
  12. WildCat

WildCat Well-Known Member

I'm not a roofer, but don't need to be to tell it's not a good job.

It's utter stupidity that they threw the old weathered tiles away.

A while ago somebody nearby was having their roof replaced and I asked for and got a few old weathered tiles in case I needed them. Maybe somebody else in the area is having a roof replaced and there are old tiles available?

13. Mark's Dad

Mark's Dad Active Member

Not a roofer here either but!

As Astramax has pointed out, and assuming the centre line of the stack is the the boundary between the properties, virtually all the new mismatched tiles are on the neighbours side of the roof.
    Suggest having the roofers move the divider between new and existing aross to sit directly on the midline of the roof (where it should be) and extend the new tiles across to meet. Looks as though if this were done then would be a small excess of old tiles on your side which could be used to help make good some of the badly patched odd tiles. Also, if your prepared to have them back, some old tiles could be taken from the back roof replaced with new and those used to ensure there are enough to finish the front to match and look much better. Does that make sense?

Thoughts?

14. Edwardz

Edwardz Member

I see what you are all saying about the line so will definitely mention it if the roofer actually turns up this afternoon to speak to us. Again, really appreciate all the thoughts on it.

15. BuildingMad

BuildingMad Screwfix Select

i would not accept having those larger tiles instead of plain tiles.
    Were the neighbours shown a sample of the replacement tile & what did the quote say ?
    I thought when you change the size or style of roof tiles, planning permission is required.

16. Edwardz

Edwardz Member

The boss of the company has come out to look at it, he didn't do the work personally. He has offered to replace with reclaimed tiles. He has also offered to do work to our ridge when corrections are made around the chimney and replace the capping on our garden wall. The guy said reputation is important to him and wants the opportunity to put things right and would like us to use his company in the future. Work should start Monday and he insisted the scaffolding won't come down unless we are happy and he will be inspecting and signing off the job at the end. He is disappointed that their behaviour is letting his reputation down. Fingers crossed it all goes to plan.

17. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Keep us informed of the outcome and photos please. ;)

Mark's Dad likes this.
  18. chillimonster

chillimonster Screwfix Select

send us the "after" pix .
    If they're good and the rain don't get in, he's
    an honourable man.

19. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

....'P' what ...oh 45! :eek:

20. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

I think the joint is in the right place and it's perspective in your photo.

It sounds as though the boss is an honourable guy though and is going to see your right.

As others have said post after pics and do give him good reviews.