Roofing disaster

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by James V, Jun 15, 2015.

1. James V

James V Member

well, possibly not a disaster if you fellas can sort me out.

I'm building a studio in my garden. 5m x 5m with stud framing walls. I made the back frame wall 5cm higher than the front to give my roof a very slight gradient. I've now put 2 layers of 11mm OSB on the rafters (75x200mm), but I'm finding that towards the front of the building the roof levels out; and having done a test I am getting some pooling. I regret not having a more obvious gradient to avoid this - but I am where I am.

Certainly one of the issues is the front frame wall, but I'm not really sure where the other issues may be that have caused this.
    Any tips on rectifying this without removing all of the boards? I wondered if hammering some scraps underneath the OSB where it touches the rafters in strategic positions may work?

Incidentally I'm glueing EPDM on the top.

Cheers (pics below)

1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.jpg

2. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Just get some firrings and fix them down say at 400mm centres and then go over with some 18mm OSB. That should increase the fall more than enough to solve it.

wiggy likes this.
  3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

The floor is dipping too. You have hung 200mm rafters on what looks like 100-125mm front and back ends!!!!! If you are gonna hang 200mm you should at least be hanging them on 200mm.

Suggestion, lift the front(the whole roof)or lower the back by 150mm(giving 100mm run backward). Strengthen the floor/footing.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

wiggy likes this.
  4. Mblack

Mblack Member

Sorry but those timbers front or back but especially the front where the window and door is will not support the weight of the roof never mind a few ton of snow on it.

wiggy and Gatt like this.
  5. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

It might be that the concrete base is rising towards the front, enough to level out the roof.

Overall I see some competent work, but some lack of experience in sizings and design. eg 5.1 metres is usually the longest length you can find in a timber yard, anything longer would have to be ordered and delivered. I would have gone for a smaller building, put more into the frame and sat the joists on the wall plate.

But I think you will have to take all the boards off and get it right. Its no good proceeding with a dodgy roof.

6. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Do as golden boy says and stick some firrings up there.

And handyandy is right. You need to beef that up.
    That looks a mess.

That is a proper diy job.

7. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Its a good effort with a lot of hard work clearly gone into it.

Looking at the situation, yep there are some issues but none that aren't overcomerable

The roof situation can be solved with firrings fairly simply

There are issues with the weight of the roof for sure,

I would be inclined to simply very securely fix 8x2 all the way round at the top of the studs to give it some meat.

I would also make a column for the middle to give a good bit of support. Perhaps double skinned osb about 300mm square. The building is big so it would be ok and not intrude too much would still leave 2400mm all the way round. Use it for electrics, speakers or lights perhaps .

8. James V

James V Member

Thanks Goldenboy - sounds like a plan; and thanks for the other constructive comments. This is actually just the external skin of this project - once it is completed there will be an identical internal framed room (its a small music studio of a mass-spring-mass design). Incidentally the flooring isnt dipping its completely flat. I brushed some of the stones out of the way to secure the DPC to the studs