Room thermostat - best position?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by NickB, Mar 2, 2004.

1. NickB

NickB New Member

I'm just having a new central heating sealed system installed in a house I'm renovating, and I'm wondering where is the best position for the room thermostat? Obviously not directly above a rad, but if I have TRVs on each of the rads in the house, then does it really matter where the thermostat is located (ie. upstairs landing, downstairs, wherever...)?

Your feedback would be appreciated, as the sparkys coming on site later this week.

2. bilco

bilco New Member

It is best to fit a room stat in a area that isn't affected by other heating factors, like cooking or several warm bodies...A hall is often a good choice.

The room where the stat is sited should not have a trv though and that rad requires carefull balancing so that the stat doesn't cut off the heating before other rooms have reached their required temperatures

3. DJS

DJS New Member

Is it a good idea to fit a stat in the landing instead?
    My hall has a radiator with a TRV fitted whereas the landing has no radiator.
    Any comments?

4. bilco

bilco New Member

The landing may well be overly influenced by convected heat when the stair well offers no resistence. As doors are opened and closed on the ground floor, heat will excape from a warm room and rise but the cold air from the front door will cool lower levels while not affecting the landing too much. Then the room stat keeps the heating off when you possibly would choose it to be on.

5. DJS

DJS New Member

Cheers Bilco,
    I must admit that was sort of what I was thinking as well.
    My radiator (with TRV) is right at one end of the hall near front door. The stat is fitted at other end of hall. Would radiator be far enough away (about 10 feet) not to mess up stat or would the TRV definitely need to be removed from radiator?

6. Mike Jackson

Mike Jackson New Member

My favourite spot for the room stat is in the lounge. Fitting it in the hall can mean the heating cycling on and off every time the front door is opened. The room where you want to be most comfortable is the lounge. The hall can then be set lower on TRVs as you tend to pass through the hall to other rooms.

Mike

7. bilco

bilco New Member

If the trv shuts off before the stat, your heating will never go off.

The lounge is ok unless you have other heating in there like open an fire. Bodies also add greatly to the heating effect, so a small gathering could leave the rest of the house unheated...Of course, if you don't have any friends, that may not be a problem ;)

8. nigel

nigel Guest

It should be sited in the main living area,no trv on the rad [the place you spend most of your time]then all other rads trv's can be adjusted accordingly.

9. CH4

CH4 New Member

From: Good Practice Guide 302 "Controls for domestic central heating and hot water" http://www.est.org.uk/bestpractice/uploads/publications/pdfs/GPG302.pdf

"A room thermostat should be sited in a regularly heated area that allows free circulation around it. It should not be exposed to draughts, and should be away from internal heat sources and direct sunlight. It should also be in a position that is readily accessible to the householder, eg not in cupboards or behind furniture.

The thermostat should be sited about 1.5 m above floor level, except where the occupants include a wheelchair user. In this case a suitable height in excess of 1 m should be agreed with the householder. The room thermostat should not be sited where supplementary room heating (eg gas, electric, solid fuel fire) will affect it. Appropriate positions will be in the hall or other living room (ie without supplementary heating). It should not be sited in a kitchen or combined kitchen/dining room and should only be sited in a main living room where it is certain that supplementary heating is not used".