Rotten floorboards - joist under wall

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by TedGray, Aug 27, 2015.

1. TedGray

TedGray New Member

Hi all,

Was planning to lay some laminate flooring in bedroom but found rotten floorboards caused by an old leak from bathroom. Main problem is that i think the joist is under the wall. Should I replace all of them (or just really bad one in the middle) or just leave it is only a small section? Does the rot or black stuff on the boards spread?

floor.jpg

Many Thanks

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

What is the board like, if you poke it with a screwdriver,is it soft or fairly firm, then I would cut back three or four of the boards & replace them.

Intrested to know state of floor joist.

TedGray likes this.
  3. TedGray

TedGray New Member

The board in the middle was very soft, screwdriver gone through. The joist is under the wall so not much access, i could see it and poked it with screwdriver, seems solid. The floorboards in that area have a tiny bit of play up and down. Adjacent clean boards don't.

Attached Files:

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Wow!

I certianly cut back & replace 4 from right to left in photo, other 3 depends on their condition.
    Once you removed first four boards, you have nosey underneath & see what remining three are like.
    Would screw down new boards, will take out any bounce.

TedGray likes this.
  5. TedGray

TedGray New Member

Thanks for replies. These ones you mean?
    floorrep.jpg

What about the joist being under wall? If i can't cleanly remove rotten board over the joist (as its under the wall?) would I have to screw a batten onto the joist and rest the boards on it? Also, do I cut the rotten boards back to the middle of the nearest joist in the bedroom (so new boards sit on joist), or do i cut floorboard along the joist and screw a batten on there also?

So the new replacement boards go batten to batten.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Just screw a batten to the joist under wall, you could also cut boards flush, to the joist ( the nearest one your using), & attach a batten to that joist to support the short new pieces of boards.

TedGray likes this.
  7. TedGray

TedGray New Member

Just so I don't have any "Ooooh Betty...I've had a bit of trouble" Frank Spencer incidents, do you have any tips? Is there a specific size for the batten? Do I need a mini handheld circular saw, all i have is a jig saw.

8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I would plunge a circular saw into the most rotten one at the inside edge of the next joist, and rip that one out. Then (now you have a hole)use a handsaw for the rest. The joist under the wall is likely to be an inch further back than the front of the skirting, so a batten on that joist would need to be 2". So probably best to use 2x2 on both.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

Shawt, FatHands and KIAB like this.
  9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Check there are no cables or pipes in the way first, exactly as said above, but use your jigsaw instead for rotten board,once remove you can use joist as a straight guide to cut remaining rotten boards.
    Definitely 2x2, or 3x2 screw to each joist.

10. Mr. Handyandy

^^^^Oh I meant to say set the circular saw depth at the thickness of the floorboards.(I always forget to state the obvious-obvious to me anyway)

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

He hasn't got a circular saw.

12. Mr. Handyandy

How would you know he hasn't got a circular saw??? :confused:

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

13. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

He said he only has a jigsaw Handy :)

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Might be useful.;)

http://www.specsavers.co.uk/

CGN likes this.
  15. Mr. Handyandy

You're correct.

Of course, he could have meant that the jigsaw was the only tool he had capable of doing the job, thinking a circular saw would not be useful!

You're probably still correct though.
    :)

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

16. TedGray

TedGray New Member

thanks for the help!! just the jigsaw i had yes and did spot a cable too.

The joist where rotten floorboards were sitting isn't looking its best, seems solid for the most part but not sure if good idea to screw batten on there. The joist is resting on some bricks that have damp proof course on top. Would it be a good idea to place a new joist in front of existing one across these rows of bricks, and lay some new bricks for joist to rest on the side where there isn't anything for it to rest on?

Now im thinking about it, might be difficult to actually wedge it in there underneath the boards?

Whats best do you think?

rotjoist.jpg
    under.jpg
    hole.jpg

17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Yes, just bolt another joist to the damaged one, might need to plane a few millimetre off,so you can tap it in.

M12 bolts with square plate washers will do.

Washers cheaper at competitors.

And you need to treat that rot, stop it spreading.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  18. TedGray

TedGray New Member

I think builders have have bolted small section of joist on other side already, I can feel it there from underneath. Does it make a difference. Do you have to drill a pilot hole for those bolts? and do washers go on face of new joist? Thanks.

19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Washers go on face of timber,provides a larger bearing surface,& spreads the load, & the bolts go right through the joists.

20. TedGray

TedGray New Member

ok so drill hole through joists, place washer, push bolt through, no nuts needed on other side. Should the bolts all be in line or do i put them at different heights?